5 Quick Measuring Hacks Part 2 – Woodworking Tips and Tricks

5 Quick Measuring Hacks Part 2 – Woodworking Tips and Tricks

This week we review 5 more life hacks to help you measure.
Measuring and Marking are a big part of woodworking projects and pencils, rulers, squares, tape measure, measuring tips, marking gauges and marking knives can make the job easier and more accurate.

******************
5 Quick Measuring Hacks Part 1: https://youtu.be/TOve6oVPKVw
Woodworking Tips and Tricks Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgn5pIkLhZC6UNY7oGCqqalh2WTG0Ywge
5 Woodworking Tips for the Table Saw: https://youtu.be/31DWE1aRVto
******************

**** Full Article on Woodworking Measuring Tips and Tricks: https://goo.gl/7o4Lrm

**** Subscribe here – https://www.youtube.com/user/knecht105
** Like me at Facebook: https://goo.gl/DLgvoa
** Visit the website: http://www.woodworkweb.com
** Follow on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/colinknecht
** Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/woodworkweb
** Connect with me on Google+: http://goo.gl/7fotJq

1. Neil Hendricks on May 12, 2022 at 7:14 pm

Greetings Paul
    I have watched a few of your videos. This is the one that got me to subscribe and to write a comment. Thank you. The two tips I like best are using a square and two nails for guiding the marker to inscribe a circle – Sweet – and I like the hole in the combination square blade too. Not sure how I would do it yet, maybe a dremmel tool cutoff blade, to make a slice across the ruler to enable the use of a thin blade marking knife. I have seen the tape on a tape measure case before – nice reminder – I am one of those guys who needs reminders – for the reminder tips! Thanks from the Geezer Garage Wood Shop

2. jan veit on May 12, 2022 at 7:18 pm

I wish I remember these things.

3. William Houdersheldt on May 12, 2022 at 7:18 pm

Please put the pencil in the pencil holder NOT in the marker holder.

4. Mohamad Reza Khajehgeer on May 12, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Thanks alot your video is fantastic πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸŒΉπŸŒΉπŸŒΉπŸŒΉπŸŒΉπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

5. Juan Carrillo G on May 12, 2022 at 7:22 pm

What’s so funny

6. Jason Nester on May 12, 2022 at 7:22 pm

What was that wooden adjustable scribe tool called?

7. Larry Fulton on May 12, 2022 at 7:24 pm

Great Tips! I like the idea of putting a piece of tape on the tape measure..and also drilling a hole in the combination square.

8. Ray Spivey on May 12, 2022 at 7:24 pm

L”

9. Bobcat Sterling on May 12, 2022 at 7:25 pm

This guy is good.

10. Santiago Huerta on May 12, 2022 at 7:25 pm

Good hacks part 1 & 2 thanks

11. Patricia Martinez on May 12, 2022 at 7:25 pm

Love the circle drawing trick… Very easy way to place circles exactly where you need it

12. niky amin on May 12, 2022 at 7:26 pm

the marking gauge is so cool I was intending to make one now I’m so making Urs

13. swatson0061 on May 12, 2022 at 7:26 pm

Awesome info.

14. patrick dunn on May 12, 2022 at 7:26 pm

And Sharpie now makes a fine point, but I’ve only seen them in black.

15. Rui Manuel on May 12, 2022 at 7:27 pm

Nice tip on the marking gauge and the combination square. Thanks mate.

16. G Sauve on May 12, 2022 at 7:27 pm

Hello colon thanks for your tips. I will be putting them to work. The one I really like and could have used this morning was I needed a 7.5 in circle. And I looked around for something. And no luck. But it tool me longer. I love your tip !!
    With the square and the 2 nail tip
    Keep them tips a coming and again
    Another BIG THANKS colon

17. Hansang Bae on May 12, 2022 at 7:27 pm

Tape on the tape measure. Brilliant. So simple but I don’t have to worry about the paper that I’m using flying off! And I’m drilling a hole in my combination square right after I type this. Thanks for the tips!

18. Adam Madron on May 12, 2022 at 7:29 pm

Excellent knowledge. I have been a carpenter for 25 years and never seen the framing square used to make a circle. I do however use that tri square all the time to scribe a straight line on the edge of stuff and transfer exact positions of holes or cuts to other parts. I have written on my tape measure lots over the years and never thought of using the painters tape on the tape but I do often use that painters tape for marking hole locations when say drilling holes for handles on high end cabinet doors or painted walls. Thanks for teaching me some new tricks! And, nice spalted maple pencil holder πŸ˜‰

19. Rod and Tami Evens on May 12, 2022 at 7:29 pm

you are a genious… so smart…

20. Maverick Goose on May 12, 2022 at 7:30 pm

Genius! Such a relaxed and enjoyable presentation. I could watch you all day long, just to chill out. The bonus is I learn at the same time. Thank you.

21. Frank M on May 12, 2022 at 7:33 pm

My hack for drawing circles is I use a peanut butter jar and trace around it.

22. Ken Fullman on May 12, 2022 at 7:33 pm

True story. My brother once a Tiled a Kitchen and made all of his cuts before he put a single tile on the wall. In order to keep track of which tiles belonged where, he put notes on the back of each tile. These were ceramic glass with a glazed face. A few months later his customer called him back to the job. Now ALL of his marks were visible, right there on the face of the tile (backwards) and were impossible to clean off. Turns out that if you use felt tip markers on ceramic, that ink will make it all the way through. It may take a few months, but eventually it will bleed all the way through. My brother replaced all the tiling at his own cost but be warned.

23. judsonkr on May 12, 2022 at 7:33 pm

4:48 You put you pencil in your marker carrier.

24. Prince Westerburg on May 12, 2022 at 7:34 pm

Circle – Never did this because I know if you put a string between to pieces and run a pencil you get a perfect parabola – which is great as an acoustic reflector, light reflector, the path of all objects in free flight and of course the snooker table where its impossible to miss the central pocket! :o)

25. Phoenix One on May 12, 2022 at 7:34 pm

my first time watching your videos, very useful stuff and the self surprise of "heck! why didn’t I think of that before?…" and I usually bond with charismatic characters doing this videos based on personality, usefulness, info and other factors BUT, Mainly for the Presentation.The only thing that kind of turns me off is the giggling, the je je! & ja ja! or just laughing without a valid reason as if you’re doing a comedy show or simply to try and entertain when there’s no punch line in what you’re explaining… I don’t know, maybe you’re just a happy guy enjoying what you do but sorry Sir, it makes you look goofy and silly and dulls your presentation. I’ve used to be like that for most of my young life and somehow, I always gave people the wrong impression trying to act "nice". I even overheard a comment once while I was teaching a welding class, I’ve heard one of my students make a comment in a low voice to another saying "He’s pretty good on teaching the class but what are all the jokes and giggling about? is he high or just fu-#*#@ nuts?" So I adjusted my projection when teaching my next class and after I was done, my students came over to ask questions with a respect and admiration I’ve had not seen in any of my previous classes before and found, to my surprise that when we met at the campus or the cafe outside the school, they would be charmed with my jokes or funny comments in the chit chat mood that had nothing to do with class time but, I still had their respect and awe for who I was and what my contribution added to their education. Now I follow my mother’s motto of "First, gain peoples Respect and Interest, not their sympathy… that comes along for free later" … She is a wise woman let me tell you, because it always works. Just my opinion. And keep up the great work.

26. Monnie Holt on May 12, 2022 at 7:36 pm

Okay okay. I subscribed. This video was great. Thanks for the tips!

27. jack marage on May 12, 2022 at 7:37 pm

On the try square the opposite end of the ruler there should be a round mettal ball pull it and it will come out and it will be a pointed metal pin to use for marking

28. Agathe J. on May 12, 2022 at 7:37 pm

The first one is based on the theorem of the angle of the center, applied to the specific case of a 180Β° angle (the diameter) intercepting an angle that is half of it, 90Β°. BRILLIANT!!

29. Chris H on May 12, 2022 at 7:38 pm

Everything is a "hack" these days. They’re tips… nothing more.

30. CronkitePercussion on May 12, 2022 at 7:39 pm

Squaring the circle πŸ™‚

31. drexldog on May 12, 2022 at 7:40 pm

In the time it takes to use a square to draw a circle, I’ve gone to Dollarama and bought a compass. πŸ˜‰

32. OneEyedPhotographer on May 12, 2022 at 7:40 pm

6:10 Is that not a combination square?

BTW There are videos about tuning those, needed if the right angle isn’t 90 degrees any more.

33. C R on May 12, 2022 at 7:41 pm

Once again, very nicely done. A variety of measuring tips that are informative, useful and applicable to many situations.

34. neil froggy crompton on May 12, 2022 at 7:41 pm

Post it notes to record measurements,or carry the smallest notepads u can find,u can get them in cheap shops sometimes in multipacks ☺

35. Kirk Johnson on May 12, 2022 at 7:45 pm

A piece of cardboard & a nail & pencil, mark your radius on the cardboard, place pencil on the end, just spend it around, simple

36. Stephanie Ray on May 12, 2022 at 7:46 pm

You put the ‘tape’ into tape measure πŸ˜‰

37. JonMW on May 12, 2022 at 7:47 pm

The first trick for drawing a circle with a square is pretty powerful, because you can make circles of arbitrary size without needing any material at the centre to put a compass on. Finally, a use for the little notch in the corner of a framing square.

38. outdoorzone on May 12, 2022 at 7:48 pm

Great tips man!!

39. StupidEarthlings on May 12, 2022 at 7:48 pm

Nice one. Love the little pencil lead hole in the square..and the tape on the..tape. πŸ˜‰

40. Swamp Kat on May 12, 2022 at 7:49 pm

Go to the drugstore, look in the makeup section. You’ll find eyebrow pencils in white for about $3. They can be sharpened to a point. Use on dark materials

41. Ok Can'tbelieveit on May 12, 2022 at 7:54 pm

Brilliant πŸ‘

42. Cameron Soltani on May 12, 2022 at 7:54 pm

The first trick, with the 2 nails and square to draw a circle, is a demonstration of Thale’s Theorem.

43. Rufino Tellez on May 12, 2022 at 7:54 pm

What or how do i do it withoit a planer to straight wood out or to make it nice and smooth

44. Jose Jimenez on May 12, 2022 at 7:55 pm

Thank you . Like .

45. Michael Pallini on May 12, 2022 at 7:56 pm

I tried this circle thing but ended up drawing a box.

46. C S Figueroa on May 12, 2022 at 7:56 pm

FYI: the adjustable right angle square has a nail built in to it that you can detach and use to mark your material.

47. Old Man Patriot on May 12, 2022 at 7:57 pm

He used $572 dollars worth of wood scrap in today’s wood prices for this video..

48. Chris Timms on May 12, 2022 at 8:03 pm

Brilliant information Colin

49. Dot Imbro on May 12, 2022 at 8:09 pm

Thank you.

50. mogbaba on May 12, 2022 at 8:12 pm

02:25 Either i am too stupid or you are too wise or may be both!