What Tools Do You Need For Woodworking?

What Tools Do You Need For Woodworking?

This is my list of the top woodworking tools for beginners. I wanted to share with you my thoughts on the essential tools that a beginner woodworker needs. These are basic tools that every woodworker should have in their shop. If you are starting a woodworking business, these are must have tools. There are no large, expensive tools listed in this video because if you are just starting out woodworking, you may not have the budget for those tools. If you are starting to sell woodworking projects, you can use that money to upgrade to more advanced tools later. If you just enrolled in Woodworking 101 however, these tools are what you need to get started. You can build amazing projects using basic tools. I am proof of that. Let me encourage you to put yourself out there and make amazing projects using basic woodworking tools. I think this list is the woodworking tools you must have to get started building awesome woodworking projects. If you are woodworking on a budget, this list of tools is easy on the wallet. I started with borrowed tools and worked my way up to the shop I have today. I was blessed with support from family members and the community that has purchased my woodworking projects. You can do it too!

Skip ahead to any point in the video by clicking the numbered timestamp below:
Circular Saw: 1:23
Drill/Impact: 2:11
Tape Measure 4:18
Clamps: 4:57
Squares: 6:12
Wood Glue 7:31
Safety Equipment 7:44
Pocket Hole Jig: 8:04
Encouraging Words: 10:00
Support the channel info 14:10

*Tools Talked About In This Video*
Ridgid Cordless Tools: https://go.magik.ly/ml/zj4x/
All other tools: https://www.amazon.com/shop/influencer-4e5e1fdd?listId=1ZVKLZKPZPMB3&ref=idea_share_inf

*What to watch next*
Beginner Woodworking Projects: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWVlC66wUw8bcyha61qgVX7e8yzdRwN82
Top 5 Woodworking Projects that Sell: https://youtu.be/7pIKH-BCLoA
Woodworking tool reviews: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWVlC66wUw8bgSoJGLxBu2sKpHQRID3Vs
Work shop projects: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWVlC66wUw8aXeADTi-67CcAVkrn_K7rw

Camera Equipment Used for Videos:
Canon M50 https://amzn.to/3iFhyOC
Canon 22mm lens: https://amzn.to/3491b91
Microphone for M50: https://amzn.to/2NcvHVS

If you want to help support this channel you can do so by becoming a patron. Patron’s get early access to my new videos. You get to see the videos before they are released to the public. Sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/731woodworks

Disclaimer: affiliate links are used in this description and they help support this channel. By clicking on the links and purchasing items, it provides me a very small commission but cost you nothing extra. It is a great way to support small creators like me. I appreciate the support more than you know! Working with wood and power tools is inherently dangerous. Anyone using any of the tools or supplies used in these videos are personally responsible for learning the proper techniques involved, and he or she assumes all risks and accepts complete responsibility for any and all damages and injury of any kind.

1. Great Discoveries in Biomedical Sciences on May 13, 2022 at 7:17 pm

Great stuff, Great video!!!

2. Survive 'N' Strive on May 13, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Love the value you provide. I have been toying with getting into woodworking for the same reasons you did and you are giving me the confidence to make that leap

3. Trail Weaks on May 13, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Shiiiieeeet i used to make pocket holes with a forsner bit. Now I use the cheap ass $20 kreg jig. Sometimes I just use dowels. But im like u…middle name is pocket hole

4. stephen fleming on May 13, 2022 at 7:21 pm

I just want to say thank you, you got me into working with wood and making some cool projects. I’ve been watching your channel now for a couple months and I owe you a ton. Please don’t stop what you are doing.

5. James Dishman on May 13, 2022 at 7:23 pm

Hey Matt after finishing your video yes you are right I forgot what it was like just started!! I have working with wood since I was a kid thank you for your help and great ideas God bless

6. Honey Hollow Homestead on May 13, 2022 at 7:25 pm

The problem I have with safety glasses is that I wear prescription glasses. I settled on a pair of goggles, but then I have a problem with them steaming up and then I can’t see what I’m doing.

7. Chad Williams on May 13, 2022 at 7:26 pm

Great video sir I started out the same way love you’re channel keep up the great work!!!

8. Jonathan Green on May 13, 2022 at 7:26 pm

Matt you just made my day,I am trying to get intoeti woodworking now that I,m r

9. captain cave man on May 13, 2022 at 7:27 pm

Not sure if someone has said this yet or not but I’m going to say.
    Space
    Space
    Space
    Every weekend I do a clean out and try to make more space for myself. I try to rearrange stuff also to try and find a better flow for myself in the limited space I have because my garage isn’t only my workshop its also storage for all the extra crap and I also do auto mechanic work.
    With being a jack of all trades my tool list is crazy.

10. Erick Armentrout on May 13, 2022 at 7:28 pm

Slowly getting into this, Harbor Freight is amazing. Yes it’s cheap stuff and the quality isn’t the greatest, but starting out their prices can’t be beat.

11. Great Discoveries in Biomedical Sciences on May 13, 2022 at 7:29 pm

Again, great video, right to the point!!!

12. heavychevy383 on May 13, 2022 at 7:30 pm

as a barber of 30 years & a shade tree mechanic by hobby, i am much more comfortable with a 3/8" rachet or a pair of oster clippers, but cutting a piece of wood?!? i knew nothing, & only know slightly more than nothing now (haha) …but i got "blessed" with a used set of cordless tools with a circular saw & a jig saw… fast fwd a bit & the pandemic put me outta work for months, & having never used these tools before, i said a prayer, watched a u tube saftey video, & i got brave & built my garage (skeleton structure was there already), a workbench, & a set of ramps for my dogs (daschound owners understand) & i discovered i actually like working with wood almost as much as i like wrenching on my 71 chevy! great video for us interested in getting into some more wood working projects, thanx & god bless dude! (& love ur shirts man! god is good!)

13. Doug Biernacki on May 13, 2022 at 7:32 pm

Thank you for your time and knowledge… You come across very well on your videos and seem like a humble go to man.
    Some ppl you can’t listen to for more than 2 minutes and others you can listen to all day.. you my friend are the latter.
    You have inspired me to start preparing to make projects to make some extra cash doing what I love doing.
    I really think you would be great at doing seminars and such.
    Keep up the GREAT work and most of all don’t change your character!!

14. Eric Williams on May 13, 2022 at 7:33 pm

Hey!!…and if you are really on a budget and cant afford a circular saw, you can always get a hand saw ( or some type of Japanese hand saw). Yes, it take way longer to cut wood, but the benefits of a hand saw.
    It will help get you ( or keep you) in shape, and having a hand saw will make you appreciate an electric circular saw when you can and do eventually get one.
    A rubber mallet is another awesome piece of "equipment " to have, and a set or just a couple wood chisels ( depending on if you really need them..I do a lot of wood sculptures so I got me a cheap set to sharpen up)…

15. Marc Ruhland on May 13, 2022 at 7:33 pm

Love my rigid tools.

16. Mark Rili on May 13, 2022 at 7:35 pm

What about planer sir?

17. Baby Boomer Backpackers on May 13, 2022 at 7:36 pm

Mate, hi from Australia. Love your videos, are you able to do a tutorial on Pocket Hole joins.

18. Kerrie Fletcher on May 13, 2022 at 7:38 pm

I love your videos. So inspiring. I’ve found my love of wood working in discovering your videos while we were in lockdown In Melbourne Australia. With only basic tools I’ve been able to creat great things. Thanks to you I LOVE my Kreg tool pocket hole jig. My partner laughs at me on a random night I’ll be on the couch watching your videos on the tv haha. God bless.

19. 731 Woodworks on May 13, 2022 at 7:39 pm

Checkout my woodworking projects for beginners playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTLcWu7lKjs&list=PLWVlC66wUw8bcyha61qgVX7e8yzdRwN82

20. Joshua Hodges on May 13, 2022 at 7:43 pm

Your my hero man.

21. Jason Keller on May 13, 2022 at 7:44 pm

What brand of table saw did you have before the Delta? This was and still is my jointer. I bought it 20 years ago to make a table from raw 4/4 ash. Also found a $400 12" Delta planer at Lowe’s on clearance for $99 back then to aid in the planing. This isn’t a beginner tool,, but its better than hand planing. Have you seen the price of some hand planes today? Actually, I think i bought the planer first which inspired the project. https://www.rockler.com/e-z-jointer-clamp-kit?country=US&sid=V91040&promo=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=CjwKCAiA57D_BRAZEiwAZcfCxTL5H3aKp_tQe5Dk-4PCj7HwfxX-cy7FhtR7oD5UT75FzcTCyty3EhoCNb0QAvD_BwE

22. Edwin Durst on May 13, 2022 at 7:44 pm

I have been going through your videos at random. I see something I may want to try and I watch it. I just saw a few today and you are putting forward you Kreg K5. However, I saw one the other day where you had changed manufacturers of the pocket hole jig, sying it is better. We-e-e-ell if you don’t like the Kreg K5, I would be more than happy to take it off your hands.

23. 937 Woodworks on May 13, 2022 at 7:45 pm

The good lord provides for us

24. Travis Martin on May 13, 2022 at 7:45 pm

What type of paint sprayer do you use ?

25. David Mori on May 13, 2022 at 7:52 pm

If you are saving up for your first pocket connector. Would you recommend getting k5 over k3?

26. Dustin Mckenzie on May 13, 2022 at 7:55 pm

how would one get some practice with wood working when wood cost more than the tools now? any advice?

27. Brent van Zyl - Down to Earth woodworx on May 13, 2022 at 7:55 pm

You are a champ bro. Your love for God and your wife is awesome, your humility is very encouraging. I relate to you in many ways and having started wood working a year or so back, building up the tools and skills to provide for my wife and I, pursue a passion, and do so for His glory has be blessing. If you ever come out to South africa, our home is open to you and your wife, with the african wild on our doorstep and a good convo included, keep up the good work brother, God bless you

28. Woodworking Monetized on May 13, 2022 at 7:55 pm

Love your channel. Definitely up my channel’s alley. I wish you continued prosperity from this measly youtuber to you!!! Psalms 90:17

29. Clayton Baxter on May 13, 2022 at 7:56 pm

Any videos or plans for that bench at 0:24? I have some scrap wood that would be perfect

30. London Cabbie on May 13, 2022 at 7:56 pm

Great advice.

31. D Deryl Downey on May 13, 2022 at 7:57 pm

Do you have a recommendation for a sink/countersink set? Do you have a link to the set you use?

32. Cinderellen on May 13, 2022 at 7:57 pm

💜💜 Great advice, and so encouraging! Thank you!

33. Kevin Nickel on May 13, 2022 at 7:58 pm

I think the thing that everyone wants to know is..what kind of numbers are you putting up on that power rack?

34. Kenneth Turner on May 13, 2022 at 7:59 pm

When I started out, I couldnt afford a table saw. I did have an electric circular saw, so what I did was, I got two 50" straight edges from Harbor Freight and basically made my own track saw. that works really well. As a matter of a fact, if I’m cutting something smaller, I’ll just use that method.

35. Corey Flynn on May 13, 2022 at 8:00 pm

Would you get a corded or cordless circular saw? I already have ryobi stuff so I could get a cordless but smaller blades and less power. What do you think?

36. Jonathan Green on May 13, 2022 at 8:00 pm

Matt thxs. for the info. I am wanting to get into woodworking.I,m now retired an want to make a little extra money. Your vids.are very helpful.

37. Erin Whilden on May 13, 2022 at 8:00 pm

I have a question. I’m trying to cut my pegboard in half but we only have a miter saw. Any ideas on how to cut it? Thanks so much

38. jessechappell2 on May 13, 2022 at 8:00 pm

Where does the name 731 come from? I noticed there are several books in the Bible that have seven chapters in 31 verses. Thought I could also be a birthday or anniversary.

39. Pink Owl on May 13, 2022 at 8:05 pm

Yes! Investing in some clamps and pocket hole jig before my next project.

40. Jeb Knott on May 13, 2022 at 8:06 pm

funny watching your reflection in the mirror

41. Jim A* on May 13, 2022 at 8:11 pm

So the R3 is the first jig you got- – trying to figure out if I need two jigs: one for 1/2 material and one for 2x- ??

42. jessechappell2 on May 13, 2022 at 8:12 pm

I’ve been enjoying the videos. One of the things I like is that your straightforward, direct, and that the way the videos are edited, you have smooth transitions when you recommended your other items Weatherby videos, playlist, or affiliate links.

43. Russ Martin on May 13, 2022 at 8:13 pm

By no means not under $100, but check out Arbortech tools on YouTube. Basically, they go on an angle grinder and allow you to sculpt wood. Of particular interest to you would be the turbo planer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugznwt0O5j8

44. James Dishman on May 13, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Hey Matt I truly believe that a new wood worker should have a great miter saw Hercules is the one I have it’s better than the dewalt Bauer power tools you will not go wrong for half the price

45. Sam C on May 13, 2022 at 8:15 pm

You must have a way to measure and mark angles. Measuring tape and a speed square are great to start. Don’t get harbor freight squares though. I have found they are off by at least 1/8 over 6 inches

46. Nigel Turner on May 13, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Hi Matt.. found this – thought you may be interested

47. Nick_intheskoolie on May 13, 2022 at 8:15 pm

This guy is awesome !

48. asbrand on May 13, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Believe it or not, but the "Bauer" and "Hercules" brand drills and impact drivers at Harbor Freight are pretty darned good. I have an impact driver of theirs (and a random orbit sander) and both are just as good as my Makita ones.

49. Charlotte H on May 13, 2022 at 8:15 pm

I’m looking for a drill press and noticed your Wen(?) in the background. Which model do you own?

50. Jeb Knott on May 13, 2022 at 8:17 pm

I think your videos are great man