What's the BEST sharpening system?

What's the BEST sharpening system?

Today we’re comparing water stones, oil stones, and diamond stones. Get a basic overview, then learn the pros and cons of each sharpening method.

The Titman Edge sharpening stones are available here: https://store.popularwoodworking.com/collections/titman-edge

For more articles about sharpening, check out https://www.popularwoodworking.com/tag/sharpening/

1. Stumpy Nubs on June 13, 2022 at 8:55 pm

How many comments have accused you of copying the Woodsmith video? 🤣

2. Robert and Troyann Boice on June 13, 2022 at 9:10 pm

I purchased the diamond plate and used it to sharpen all my chisels, plane blades and card scrapers. I am extremely satisfied with its use and results. Being a former toolmaker I know that stones have wear issues and are difficult to keep flat. Once I saw this video I knew this was the right sharpening system for me since I compared to all other methods out there. Now that I have my hand tools sharpened it will allow me to touch them up easily when needed and no need to have many different stone grits.

3. Geo West on June 13, 2022 at 9:10 pm

I have top end, water stones, Oil stones and yet do 99% of my hand tool sharpening with my Worksharp. I’d suggest not using the word "BEST" unless you offer more of a range of ways to get it done. My $0.02.

4. WreckDiver99 on June 13, 2022 at 9:14 pm

Nice Eagle 66. There appears to be two thoughts on waterstone storage. Store them in water at all times…or just soak them in water before use and then let them dry out after you’re done. The Japanese stones I inherited from my dad all came with paperwork stating "DO NOT STORE IN WATER", so seeing your stones being stored in water is interesting. Thankfully he also had a pretty high quality flattening stone so these 2"+ thick water stones SHOULD last me a while…I hope…LOL

5. John Doe on June 13, 2022 at 9:19 pm

You spreading false information. I’ve literally used de-greaser in
    boiling water to soak nasty old stones I find at yard and estate
    sales. I’ve scored a few old Washitas and hard Arkies. Go check
    out Rough Rooster’s channel. The guy is an oil stone expert.
    Especially Arkies.

6. Wild She Goes on June 13, 2022 at 9:22 pm

This is so well explained, thank you!

7. David Marshall on June 13, 2022 at 9:23 pm

How do you clean the stones

8. Ghost Too on June 13, 2022 at 9:25 pm

Let me add a comment the reason that water is use water or coolant also call soluble oil water and oil using water it wear the stone very quickly cause the blade it doesn’t brake what I mean by that oil brake the surface of any metal a few microns of the surface unlike water doesn’t , and diamond stone is not a real diamond is synthetic , like ceramic or carbide my suggestion is use oil as much you guys can stone will last longer and will sharp better I worked in metallurgy for over 45 years my Humboldt opinion if I can help made a comment

9. deezynar on June 13, 2022 at 9:27 pm

Man made oil stones cut faster than your natural ones, and are far less expensive.

10. Eagleye Nye on June 13, 2022 at 9:40 pm

thank you! super overview.

11. MikeC19100 on June 13, 2022 at 9:41 pm

This was a very nice overview of the different types of sharpening stones available for woodworkers.

12. Tayler Made on June 13, 2022 at 9:42 pm

as a retired furniture maker who trained on oil stones and used them for decades, i can tell you they are a pain in the bum compared to diamond stones. since being introduced to diamond stones i have never used anything else. so quick to hone with a final polish on a strop. it means i can take a dull chisel for instance, and be back at work in under a minute. and no time spent flattening stones.

13. Darin on June 13, 2022 at 9:45 pm