Hand Plane Basics with a Beginner how to use, setup and chose a plane

Hand Plane Basics with a Beginner how to use, setup and chose a plane

Tonight we will be working with my wife on how to use a hand plane. this is the first in a series where I will be working with my wife and teaching all the basics of woodworking.

we go live each Tuesday at 7PM central time. if the time changes, we will notify you on the Facebook or Instagram page.

Upcoming meetings:

////You Can find me:\\

////Creators Colective Live\\

Music By. Tim Sway http://timsway.net/ and Ample Tunes https://ampletunes.com/

1. patricia rasmussen on June 18, 2022 at 8:57 pm

No signal

2. Kyle Finn on June 18, 2022 at 8:57 pm

i HAVE ONE PLANE THAT INSTEAD OF A LEVER, IT HAS 2 THUMB SCREWS. DON’T KNOW WHICH ONE IS BETTER BUT IT IS FUN TO USE

3. Stephanie Ann on June 18, 2022 at 8:58 pm

You guys are so sweet! This is a great beginner video, please do more,your wife included!!!
    Where is a good place to get a good set of used tools?

4. Richard Rider on June 18, 2022 at 9:03 pm

My wife would only wish to play with the power tools and then destroy them. She goes through vacuum cleaners, electric mixers, you name it, she’ll break it. The other little IRITATING HABIT(been 21 years together so I guess I have learned to deal with this,) is NEVER putting anything back in its place; she loses her car and house keys roughly 3 times a week. So, upon second reflection, letting her into my shop will be,as the old French Saying goes, "when chickens grow teeth…"
    But she doesn’t like me in her kitchen either…cheers(hugs to Sarah)…rr

5. Peter Compton on June 18, 2022 at 9:08 pm

Glad to see the Step Stool was appreciated.

6. Hayseed Homestead on June 18, 2022 at 9:11 pm

Sarah might be more comfortable on the kids’ bench you put the Moxon vise on. And 2 minutes later you said just that. lol

Love your Instructables and how patient you are. I used to train school bus drivers, I know. ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. Sarah-Kateโ€™s Art on June 18, 2022 at 9:12 pm

Absolutely fantastic information thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š

8. Anon Ymous on June 18, 2022 at 9:15 pm

Wife? I thought that was your mom..

9. Gwyn Buckley on June 18, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Hi Matthew, I have a question about planes – no matter how I set them up, adjust the frog etc, the blade always wants to go to one side and I have to adjust it with the lever, usually pushed right over to one side so that the blade protrudes evenly out of the sole of the plane. What am I doing wrong? Forgive me but I do have another, more important question. I’ve recently started to renovate chairs, With the current lot, I can’t take the mortice and tenon joints fully apart without undoing the upholstery. I don’t have the skill to put it all back, so I’m using a spreader clamp to partly release the joint. I can’t take off all the old glue so I use epoxy glue instead. My question is this: does epoxy set rock hard and brittle or, like PVA does it retain some flexibility as the wood expands and contracts? Your the only person I know on YOuTube that bothers to read comments and answers questions. I follow your advice and greatly appreciate your responses. Cheers, Gwyn Buckley

10. Robert Brunston on June 18, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Very good!

11. Doc on June 18, 2022 at 9:19 pm

who makes your shopย apron?

12. Rosie Posie Stan on June 18, 2022 at 9:20 pm

Thank you so much for teaching using only basic tools, some cannot afford those modern elecrtic power tools nowadays. More power to your channel, fan from the Philippines

13. Thomas Russell on June 18, 2022 at 9:24 pm

Sarah, awesome job for a first time with a new type of hand tool. You done good!! James, how about giving her a better description of grain direction with a pencil showing the lines of the fibers more clearly. She has been attending to the chat and not so much paying attention to you on her previous times in the shop. (of course I don’t know if she has studied you previous videos to prepare for her shop schooling time).

14. Hammer and Neil on June 18, 2022 at 9:27 pm

Well, I’m 6′ 2", 200 and new with hand planes and experience most of what Sarah was going through. There are a lot of tiny little things it seems that just take practice and paying attention to what’s going on. Very nice to see the tips and improvements throughout the video.

15. Bryan Neal on June 18, 2022 at 9:27 pm

I thought she was sitting down at the bench. Lol

16. Alan Smith on June 18, 2022 at 9:30 pm

Love seeing Sarah working with you ! Great to see the support. Great instructions and my wife will find it funny. You need to have Sarah says Howdy Y’all at the start of the show of your signature see you later wave!! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

17. George Ksirakis on June 18, 2022 at 9:31 pm

you seem like real down to earth family people !!! Congrats and thanks for all the great info and inspiration!!!

18. Macdui101 on June 18, 2022 at 9:32 pm

I think you should make some removable decking for around your bench. I’m no expert but I tend to start with the iron away from the board and take a run up, it looks like your wife’s cuts starts with no momentum making it more difficult. Also starting off trying to get a long curl doesn’t get her used to the plane. Working on a short piece of undulating stock with small back and forth strokes gets you comfortable with the tool and just what pressure to apply when and where and making her own adjustments would get her knowing what plane adjustments produce what results. You could do a series of projects on your knees (with pillow) with your upper arms strapped to your chest for a different perspective ofc.

19. MikeBramm on June 18, 2022 at 9:32 pm

I believe the "SW" on the plane is for Stanley Works.

20. Anden P on June 18, 2022 at 9:33 pm

I know I missed the stream, but I just wanted to say that you two are wonderfully cute! As a 5’2" beginner wood worker, this was very helpful for me. Also, my partner is 6’6" so if they ever want to learn from me I have a good reference for how to teach people with whom I have a large size discrepancy ๐Ÿ™‚

21. Puneeth Raj on June 18, 2022 at 9:35 pm

I thought she was sitting down ๐Ÿ˜‚

22. Make Brooklyn on June 18, 2022 at 9:35 pm

That was great! I would bet that seeing somebody making the same mistakes and watching how they are corrected is super useful to someone just starting out. The kids bench probably is just about right! That’s a nice happy accident!

23. Chris Cunicelli on June 18, 2022 at 9:41 pm

Wow, your wife is really little. But it’s really cute that she want to learn hand tools.

24. Myra Wright on June 18, 2022 at 9:41 pm

Sarah needs a shorter bench!!! Maybe the kid’s bench would work! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’“

25. Carbonite Gamorrean on June 18, 2022 at 9:43 pm

I learned a bit and learning I hate the planes I have and don’t know how to do it properly anyway apparently.

26. Glenn Brockett on June 18, 2022 at 9:47 pm

To me, this is the best starter tutorial I have seen.

27. Mike Evans on June 18, 2022 at 9:49 pm

You Know, I have heard of woodworkers that get their spouses into the hobby just so they can justify adding more tools to the shop without having to fight over it, just saying. Actually, it always good to see Sarah on camera.

28. Rob Strause on June 18, 2022 at 9:54 pm

Great idea. Looking forward to the series.

29. Tim McGrew on June 18, 2022 at 9:54 pm

Don’t know if this was mentioned during the live stream or not but the SW stands for Stanley Works from Stanley Tool Works. Or that is what I have been told. Love your videos thanks for sharing.

30. Ingmars Gross on June 18, 2022 at 9:55 pm

whats with the ads :O I get netflix ad each five minutes or so… and I have netflix subscription already….