Watch this Before Buying Woodworking Layout, Marking & Measuring Tools (Part 1)

Watch this Before Buying Woodworking Layout, Marking & Measuring Tools (Part 1)

Joshua shows which woodworking hand tools you need for layout, marking & measuring, and which tools you don’t need. See brand names & many more details in the article here: https://woodandshop.com/woodworking-hand-tool-buying-guide-layout-marking-measuring/

✪ Get free woodworking updates, tips, and workshop tours in my regular email newsletter:

✪ Subscribe to my channel for regular woodworking tutorials, workshop tours, & reviews:

✪ Visit my website for amazing traditional woodworking lessons & projects:

Welcome to Wood & Shop!

✪ See my Woodworker’s Hand Tool Buying Guides:

Woodworking Hand Tools Buying Guide

✪ Watch my Amazing Woodworking Workshop Tours: https://woodandshop.com/traditional-woodworking-index/

✪ See my Traditional Woodworking School: https://woodandshop.com/school

✪ Join my free Hand Tool Woodworking Forum: https://woodandshop.com/forum/

✪ Shop at my Traditional Woodworker’s Store: https://store.woodandshop.com/

1. Starr Myres on June 18, 2022 at 8:58 pm

I made it with Woodglut plans!

2. tacom51 on June 18, 2022 at 8:58 pm

Your favorite sliding bevels with the decorative knobs were made by Disston.

3. Hailey Mapes on June 18, 2022 at 8:59 pm

I’d love for a good video about rehabbing old squares

4. Mattydread 66 on June 18, 2022 at 8:59 pm

Would love to learn how to square up an old antique square!

5. Erik Granqvist on June 18, 2022 at 8:59 pm

You can do lots with surprisingly little tools for marking and meassuring.

6. James Johnson on June 18, 2022 at 8:59 pm

Never take a file to a ⬜

7. adam toth on June 18, 2022 at 8:59 pm

I giggle when I see people using woodpeckers. For some reason a lot of woodworkers think tools will make them better? But I get it at the same time、 I looooove tools. That’s why I buy old quality 👌

8. Bryant Engelke on June 18, 2022 at 9:00 pm

I have an 18” combination square and find it very handy.

9. Bestbuilder on June 18, 2022 at 9:03 pm

Good job on this video, very informative and unbiased

10. A T H Mostafa on June 18, 2022 at 9:03 pm

Yes pls about square to make it new for use 😊 .

11. Here N There on June 18, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Thank you for a simple and easy to understand video. I have found woodwork and the tools are subjective to a persons taste, ability, and money spent. All of which make woodworking enjoyable. It amazes me how so many gorgeous wood items were made with simple tools. Keep up the good videos and printed information. Id love to spend some time in your school and learn more!

12. o t99 on June 18, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Now I am totally lost. Can we start from the beginning?

13. jim collins on June 18, 2022 at 9:07 pm

My vote yes

14. 07 Roadking on June 18, 2022 at 9:08 pm

I also vote YES to rehabing a vintage square ive got a bunch that could use it !!!

15. TheSkyIsCrying on June 18, 2022 at 9:09 pm

Yes, a video on rehab of an old square would be awesome.

16. MC's Creations on June 18, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Fantastic tips, Joshua! Thank you very much! 😃
    I already have a few marking squares and so on and I recently made my very first marking gauges. 😃
    It could be better, but well… It’s beautiful looking and is going to work great for a while. 😊
    Stay safe there with your family! 🖖😊

17. Aduhwan on June 18, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Joshua/Everyone: I am considering the purchase of a Woodpeckers 1281 Precision Woodworking Square to supplement the combination square that I currently use in my woodworking projects. Woodpeckers claims that their 1281 is the most stable and accurate square on the market. The 1281 is currently on "sale" until early next month. Would you consider this square to be a good value and a worthwhile purchase for an intermediate woodworker?

18. Bill K. on June 18, 2022 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Joshua for a great and informative video. A video on repairing an out of square try square would be great.

19. m oc on June 18, 2022 at 9:12 pm

If your inexpensive combination square is out of square you may be able to bring it into squareness, as I did mine, by pinging the bearing surface with a machinist’s center punch, just below the slot. Easy does it with the first blows or otherwise you’ll overshoot.

20. Matthew Szostek on June 18, 2022 at 9:17 pm

That was super boring and I could hear your throat and I loved it.

21. Nisar Ahmed soomro on June 18, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Nice work I like and it’s my ancestors work so I want to lrean can I?

22. Sajid Hussain on June 18, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Wery nise wideo uplord 👍

23. Nathan Terepocki on June 18, 2022 at 9:25 pm

great videos and article! thanks for sharing

24. Orxenhorf on June 18, 2022 at 9:25 pm

One other handy feature you can find on some spring dividers is a quick adjust. If you take the pressure off of them, the adjustment nut will slide freely to the deired position, then you can let the pressure back on and twist it to fine adjust.

25. Arthur R saker on June 18, 2022 at 9:25 pm

You’re a great teacher Josh, always a pleasure to hear what you’ve got to tell us about. Many thanks for taking the time.

26. Law V. on June 18, 2022 at 9:28 pm

Going back to these classics..👍🏻🎩

27. Brad Spencer on June 18, 2022 at 9:30 pm

A rehab video for try squares would be awesome.

28. Lawrence Rayborn on June 18, 2022 at 9:30 pm

Thanks First time viewing

29. Jeremy B on June 18, 2022 at 9:31 pm

Gotta be honest with ya… lot of advertisement in this video. Kinda a turnoff. Already liked, and subscribed. Kinda wanting to undo one of them

30. Avrohom Bilgrei on June 18, 2022 at 9:32 pm

How many vids do I have to watch regarding framing squares, discussing antique ones & never aluding to the balance and feel of a tapered one? Don’t believe they make them any more. Hmmmmmmm?

31. David on June 18, 2022 at 9:32 pm

I vote yes for a vid on rehabbing ….any tool.

32. Jeremy B on June 18, 2022 at 9:32 pm

I bet precision matters more with harder woods. Softer woods compress to fit. Does this seem to be true?

33. D_83nov : on June 18, 2022 at 9:33 pm

New to woodworking. Thank you so much for the lesson.

34. A J on June 18, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Yes please do a video on restoring a try square.

35. Mike Gillett on June 18, 2022 at 9:35 pm

Say yes for audio that can be heard. Seriously this is a huge problem for the hearing impaired. Please maximise your sound level using the full band width allowed.

36. Albert Einstein on June 18, 2022 at 9:36 pm

Off subject, but where can find your Moravian workbench videos???

37. Faheem Majeed on June 18, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Thank you so much for introducing aspects of how to elevate the features, purpose and value for the money.
    You always bring up the hidden/ignore matters up in light..
    Regards from Karachi.
    💐

38. Mike Rangel on June 18, 2022 at 9:39 pm

I say wait till you find some old guy/wife selling his stuff at a garage sale. There’s many gauges/saw etc. you will need depending on what your thinking is for that day. Anyways you will get a whole woodworking set that you can modernize as you see fit. Plus a lot of old tools are just made better.

39. pinkeye00 on June 18, 2022 at 9:40 pm

Leave it to Beaver – you are swell, man.

40. Tom St on June 18, 2022 at 9:40 pm

thanks for some good advice on these simple and very useful tools. I must admit that I am baffled at how many modern manufacturers churn out poor quality tools that are mere facsimiles of the antique or vintage tools . Squares which aren’t square are just scrap metal .

41. Etienne Erasmus on June 18, 2022 at 9:43 pm

Please do one on Ti-squares and combination squares and getting them back to square.

42. Scott Sonnenberg on June 18, 2022 at 9:44 pm

James Hetfield does woodworking?!

43. CleaveMountaineering on June 18, 2022 at 9:48 pm

Dividers are great. I got a 12" vintage set, and finally figured out there was a micro adjust there all along!!! Also the gross adjust screw thread was stripped out, so I retapped larger, put a phillips screw in there, and more recently turned a thumb screw on the metal lathe for the gross and fine adjusts. Its a great tool.
    Squares are great too. Once I got the 4" double I really wish I had one in my apron when I was doing metal fabrication for work.

44. PRESTMO on June 18, 2022 at 9:49 pm

amazing narrative voice. warm cup of tea and Wood and shop video. => Zen

45. Richard Short on June 18, 2022 at 9:50 pm

Could you please explain what the angled end is used for on the sliding bevel gauge thank you. God bless

46. Craig Silsbee on June 18, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Release the video! I welcome a rehab video for an antique square. Thank you for making quality videos And I especially love all the antique tools you continue to use.

47. Joel Smith on June 18, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Thank you for sharing this knowledge with us Josh. I’d love to see a video on truing and rehabing squared if you get time!

48. jfynyson - artisanwoodworkz on June 18, 2022 at 9:53 pm

Yes please do a square rehab video. I have one of my grandpa’s very old squares that needs squaring as I’d really like to use it!

49. Doug Cook on June 18, 2022 at 9:56 pm

For me to purchase a square it needs a published sqareness spec. Example a Starrett 12" combination is sqare to +/- .002". That way if you find it exceeds that you can take it back. Lee Valley is good at selling products that at least publish a spec.

50. BeaverCraft on June 18, 2022 at 9:56 pm

You have so many amazing tools in your woodworking school! Thank you for sharing useful tips on tool guides.