Perfect Miters and 3 Other Tips Every Woodworker Should Know

Perfect Miters and 3 Other Tips Every Woodworker Should Know

Head to https://www.squarespace.com/foureyes to save 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain using code FOUREYES

REFERENCED PROJECT VIDEOS
▸ How To Build Better Boxes – https://youtu.be/VMIGLI3D1HQ
▸ “Pico” Media Console Video – https://youtu.be/aU9XG38WEwg
▸ “Glenn” Lounge Chair Video – https://youtu.be/hUxKDFle5pQ
▸ “Longview” Dining Chair Video – https://youtu.be/ZE_eXqA9eCg

WOODWORKING PLANS / PROJECT COURSES
▸ Plans Available Here – https://www.foureyesfurniture.com/plans
▸ Plans Example Chapter – https://youtu.be/RPB9yMqpMt8

In this video we cover 4 woodworking tips which were submitted by viewers like you. The tips include cutting perfect miter joints, clamping weird angles, avoiding tear out on a table saw, and tips to improve your sanding.

HOW TO SUBMIT A TIP
Submit your woodworking tip by emailing it to us at tips@foureyesfurniture.com

Here’s what to include:
1. In the subject line of your email, include a short description of tip (example: “How To Chop an Onion w/out crying” )

2. In the body of your email, include a detailed description of your tip. If you have pictures or video, all the better. Anything that will help us to better understand your tip is appreciated. Don’t worry about high production on this stuff. We’ll take care of that.

3. Where you’d like to be credited. Your Instagram Handle, your YouTube Channel, just your name…or even anonymous. Just let us know.

1. polish2x91 on June 19, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Many binging with babish has too many hobbies

2. ShadowVipers on June 19, 2022 at 9:04 pm

A solution (for those who have this as an option) to getting those clamping jigs for awkward angles, since it was mentioned to no longer be for sale, would be 3D printing. Also you could make a lot of them too by making multiple of them with a single print job! Naturally I’d recommend a very high or 100% infill for this given that the part will be under load in this use-case.

3. kryptik0 on June 19, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Is it 44.9 from upright position of blade or from the table left of the blade? Very confusing. The thumbnail for this video shows 45.1 instead.

4. Phong Huynh on June 19, 2022 at 9:06 pm

👍👍👍✅✅🙏

5. Shore Ramp on June 19, 2022 at 9:07 pm

Plus wood shrinks as it dries more across the grain than along the length which will open up miters cut into the end of the wood.

6. bigtoysr4us on June 19, 2022 at 9:08 pm

Anyone else run into the issue of curved miter cuts like the blade pulls the piece as I’m pushing through

7. abiraffa woodwork on June 19, 2022 at 9:08 pm

What 3d program you used?

8. Randy Rockwell on June 19, 2022 at 9:11 pm

Good video but the method you show for cutting the rabbits is extremely dangerous!!

9. Haim Grinberg on June 19, 2022 at 9:12 pm

Thank you Chris for these tips. I make hexagon shelves quite often and I encounter this problem of open ends, but with hexagons the gaps make everything shift around (it will touch perfectly in 4 places and kinda set down and open up even more in 2 that are on the sides). And getting my mitre saw to be at 30 degrees perfectly seems impossible. Do you have a tip for me to improve my hexagons?

10. andrizeefoshizee on June 19, 2022 at 9:14 pm

That’s slick! Leaving extra material to provide a place to clamp, then cutting off that extra material when finished. Really slick!

11. Marty Josephson on June 19, 2022 at 9:15 pm

With regards to clamping angle pieces, I thought I sent you a diagram with a nice alternative clamping blocks

12. Neil on June 19, 2022 at 9:16 pm

its a little more work but i tend to cut at 45 and hand sand the inside corners a little it’s always worked perfectly for me 🙂

13. boutros al khouri on June 19, 2022 at 9:16 pm

You’re 100% right. Never worked with me 45 degree. Allows small gap, and allows tried to move the miter saw one hair.

14. Stephanie Galvan on June 19, 2022 at 9:18 pm

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the animations! It makes such a difference in how well I understand whatever you are describing.

15. royksk on June 19, 2022 at 9:19 pm

One of the tips I learned as an apprentice joiner over 60 years ago was that for a quick, on-site way to cut a 45° mitre, say on a skirting board, without a guide. So long as your saw is clean and a little reflective (as it should be) angle you saw whilst looking at the reflection, when you see a right angled reflection, start sawing and keep looking 👁👁

16. Russ Gauthier on June 19, 2022 at 9:19 pm

Do you have enough clamps? my trick, glue and tape! No clamps, not needed.

17. CM on June 19, 2022 at 9:19 pm

The demonstration showed 44.9 degrees, "inside" 45 degrees, but you said "outside" of 45 degree, right? Earlier, you showed 45.1. Is 45.1 what were really aiming for?

18. MrCryptozoic on June 19, 2022 at 9:20 pm

I avoid tear out by adjusting the blade depth to about 1/8" and making a cut, then make a second cut at full depth. It seems that the blade striking along the plane of the wood doesn’t tear but striking through does.

19. willem Kruger on June 19, 2022 at 9:20 pm

I am still grappling with the concept of getting a mitre joint "perfect". In a previous communication you say that "set the blade 45.1 from the vertical, or 44.9 from the horizontal"In this video at1:39the digital gauge was at 90 degrees in the vertical but you set the blade to44.9 degrees (not 45.1). Could we choose another example to illustrate your point a little more clearly. In making a hexagon, the angle would be 30 degrees from the vertical and 60 degrees from the horizontal? Is this correct? So would I set my blade 29.9 degrees starting with the blade at 90 degrees and the gauge zeroed to the blade and 60.1 degrees starting with the blade at 90 degrees and the gauged zeroed to the table, then placed on the blade that then is lowered to 60.1 degrees. I realize this is a long question and that you are busy. Thanks.

20. SomeoneCommenting on June 19, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Ouch! 9:44, then all that blood dripping from the finger, always be careful using your tools.

21. The Ungoliant on June 19, 2022 at 9:21 pm

"Tip adjacent" I’m so glad you were precise in pointing out that detail. (eye roll)

22. Andy Brown on June 19, 2022 at 9:23 pm

am trying to explain to workmates that cutting 8m wont evenly divide giving me 20 x 400mm pieces. I’ll be left holding a smaller piece. They maybe understand when I tell them why, like, I can see there is scratching of heads may but no nodding that yeah, don’t blame me if it is 60 mm short, even though your measurements drawing tells you it is possible.

23. Marbles on June 19, 2022 at 9:24 pm

8:04 The way you lean over that table saw looks really scary. Please be careful. You’re freaking me out.

24. WOLFGANG TEPPLER on June 19, 2022 at 9:26 pm

Chuck the ball thing…. It’s hookey

25. unmaker on June 19, 2022 at 9:27 pm

Chris Salmone: uses 45.1 degree bevel to achieve perfect miters.
    also Chris Salmone: freehands 45.1 degree bevel without a fence and achieves perfect miter joint.

26. Gary Coyne on June 19, 2022 at 9:29 pm

The ONE advantage of having a mitered corner open, rather than closed, is that you can take the shaft of a screwdriver (or scraper sharpener), and rub along the edge to "fold" the edge in on both sides so they meet. Yeah, it’s a fudge, but a lot of woodworking is a fudge.

27. Andre Noble on June 19, 2022 at 9:31 pm

2:43 that looks really nice.

28. David Buček on June 19, 2022 at 9:32 pm

You cant buy it, but you can print it! 🙂

29. Rick Martin on June 19, 2022 at 9:33 pm

Surprised I haven’t seen anyone mentioning 9:47 – happens to all of us sometimes!

Great tips, thanks for the video!

30. Tom Brooker on June 19, 2022 at 9:34 pm

About tear out, Your tip is really important when routing. I always start with the end grain first and end with the long grain. Always cleans up the corners.

31. Foureyes Furniture on June 19, 2022 at 9:34 pm

▸ Tips are great, but there’s no substitute for actually building stuff. Check out our plans – https://www.foureyesfurniture.com/plans
    ▸ …or just watch more woodworking tips – https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg7QrqfzwiFrpIAYDnIpKoGneqc7JG3Ai

32. D Redbud on June 19, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Thanks

33. Hellsong89 on June 19, 2022 at 9:38 pm

I wonder if you could combine this with painters tape and CA glue trick so you dont have to cut and sand those areas where you holding peaces are. Gotta try this later, well as this angle trick, though my table saw is the cheapest china shit money can buy and getting just straight equal size peaces is bit difficult.. so go figure.

34. radish pea on June 19, 2022 at 9:38 pm

great tips

35. Hazdazos on June 19, 2022 at 9:40 pm

You guys sound so super serious in these videos.

36. Thomas Baumbach on June 19, 2022 at 9:40 pm

6:30 "Oh! Phew! Thanks." The understated way this is delivered is absolute genius.

37. silver tamman on June 19, 2022 at 9:40 pm

Adam Sander

38. InnerBushman on June 19, 2022 at 9:41 pm

Are we gonna just ignore the bloodshed at 9:48 ?

39. yossarian451 on June 19, 2022 at 9:42 pm

Sorry, but the constant up inflection at the end of a sentence makes you sound like a California valley girl. I Can’t take it.

40. Marty Josephson on June 19, 2022 at 9:44 pm

One better that your clamping block with set angles, one one end have a circle 2" to 3" diameter and a tail tangent to that, about 6" or 7" long. Use the (2) tails to clamp this to the opposing surfaces then use the circles to clamp between this way your always perpendicular to the glue joint.

41. John White on June 19, 2022 at 9:50 pm

Having a mitered corner that doesn’t fit on the inside is not okay, and I don’t think we should be recommending this. I saw guys recommendations of cut both miters at same time so that they fit even if one if 44’ and the other is 46’. This is much better because what is the likelihood that someone will whip out their favorite angle measurement tool, and give you hell for a tight fitting miter that’s technically not symmetrical. But that would just be my preference. I personally like the recommendation from YouTuber Stumpy Nubs which says you should take the round shaft of a Philips driver and deform the edge that don’t meet towards each other. It has the effect of slightly bullnosing the corner, and causes a slight gap to close.

42. gnarth d'arkanen on June 19, 2022 at 9:50 pm

As a guy who does a LOT of "organic shapes" with my joinery, it’s worth pointing out that your tip about "erring in a known direction" is REALLY useful just about everywhere in joinery… not just mitres.

Look at it this way… If you’re likely to be a "smidgeon" off, it’s better to pre-plan where that "smidgeon" might show so you know where to cover it… worst case… AND best case, you’re off in a known spot and direction with the "primary cut" so it’s easier to make the minor adjustments with a file or even as small as a popsicle stick covered in sand paper… to get a "perfectly snug fit" every single time…

It SHOULD go without saying, that you should ALWAYS "dry fit" your joints before the final assembly and gluing process/step. Even if you’ve already "test fit and adjusted" before, go ahead for a full assembly (if at all possible… or as close as possible) and DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING… It’s just too easy, whether by haste or just poor memory or whatever else, to miss a piece in processing and refining to "perfection"… SO that extra bit of "dry fit" and checking everything together will save you LOTS of heartache, headache, and hair loss before you’ve got glue drying as you sit there wrestling between two pieces that can’t possibly meld together properly and the mess of sticky, gooey run-off spreading from the joint to your fingers, clothes, work-table, floor, other bits of scrap and possibly project materials, tools, and everything else in the shop…

OH YEAH… AND no matter how frustrated you get with yourself, throwing the project across the shop is NOT the answer either. It won’t help anything. ;o)

43. Maffy Bear on June 19, 2022 at 9:50 pm

You guys are pretty great.

44. How's It Happening on June 19, 2022 at 9:50 pm

Man, you got me good with that thumbnail. I read it and thought "yeah right, what kind of nonsense is this, or is he gonna use some mathematical formula that is basically the same as just using a 45". So, I clicked thinking I would get a good laugh. I’m glad I was wrong, this is such a simple yet effective tip.

45. John on June 19, 2022 at 9:52 pm

9:44 how’d that cut happen? sanding?

46. Jeremy Ron on June 19, 2022 at 9:54 pm

inb4 this guy sticks his hand in his saw

47. C B on June 19, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Best tip that can be given, a half degree large on 45. Tricks are done with a deck of cards or balloons or something. Makers have techniques not tricks.

48. Beyond Limits Productions on June 19, 2022 at 9:57 pm

Great advice here… btw hope your thumb feels better !

49. Truck Shepard on June 19, 2022 at 9:58 pm

I don’t batch sand. I get paid by the hour.

50. Hrvoje on June 19, 2022 at 9:58 pm