ONE HAND PLANE TO RULE THEM ALL!? WHAT DO YOU THINK?

ONE HAND PLANE TO RULE THEM ALL!? WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I LOVE COMPANIES THAT INNOVATE IN THE WOODWORKING COMMUNITY! It’s so hard to do because woodworking has been around for so long. Bridge City is putting exciting new ideas into play and Im always excited to see what they are up to!

New Build hoodies are finally in!

“MEET YOUR MAKER” WITH @Bourbon Moth Woodworking is on January 9th 2022! Come down to Phoenix AZ to my shop and meet Jason! Its a FREE Event!

Website: http://www.williamdouglasco.com/

Instagram: @William.Douglas.Co

PATREON: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=29150451

Amazon affiliates: http://www.williamdouglasco.com/william-douglas-co-amazon-affiliate-links/

Music and sound: https://www.epidemicsound.com/referral/ccs6f6/

1. Dan Beeson on June 21, 2022 at 9:03 pm

Step one: convince your wife that garages are not for cars- that’s just an urban myth.

2. jason Kraus on June 21, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Commenting to simple comment.

3. Rene Lopez on June 21, 2022 at 9:06 pm

Do like I do. "Babe, it costs what it costs. Im an adult and I DO NOT need your permission FOR THIS OR ANYTHING ELSE"…. also William, can I crash on your couch a couple of weeks?

4. William Douglas Co. on June 21, 2022 at 9:06 pm

Have you considered buying one of these planes? If you did, would you keep your other low angle jacks and smoothing planes or would you sell them?

5. Jérémie Gascon on June 21, 2022 at 9:07 pm

well as a professional woodworker … I am not convinced i need to spend that amount on a plane hehe i need to make money with my tools not spend too much money on them 🙂 when i will retire i will buy all the nice fancy stuff hell im too poor to afford one of my creation

6. Abingdon Woodworks on June 21, 2022 at 9:07 pm

I love the little version to precisely thickness pieces to small for the power machines. Superb fit, finish an attention to detail. Keep an eye out for the deep discount sales!

7. Terry Mason on June 21, 2022 at 9:10 pm

I fell in love with Bridge City tools the first time I saw them. The workmanship is amazing and the aesthetic is…..well, lets just say everyone would be jealous. Thanks for the rundown, now I understand the price tag.

8. grant williams on June 21, 2022 at 9:13 pm

The mini block plane seems like the most useful of the BC planes. It’s a good price (especially when it goes on sale). It would be a nice little pocket plane for more delicate work I’d normally reach for a chisel to use and the skids are kind of nice (or at least cool).

9. TOP TECHNOLOGY-DIY on June 21, 2022 at 9:13 pm

nice hand plane but so expansive

10. Blake Pizzey on June 21, 2022 at 9:14 pm

The quality of video is 👌

11. Alex Marcus on June 21, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Ever since they sold out and are now made in China the quality overall has gone down. It’s no longer the company it once was, which is sad. I have bought and returned a few of their recent items. Glad you liked them though.

12. Harry Chisholm on June 21, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Sure, I will let you talk to her. I am afraid to. 🤪

13. Metzessible on June 21, 2022 at 9:19 pm

They could have charged a whole lot more of they used that high quality German plastic Festool tools are made out of. Plus it would have been the ever aestheticly pale grey and Simpson-nuclear vomit green to prove its inherent value.

14. Moe Copiak on June 21, 2022 at 9:19 pm

Life is difficult enough without adding those impossible decisions.

15. Jordan Leake on June 21, 2022 at 9:20 pm

I’ll have to rehearse this pitch a little. Great work. Just found your channel definitely hooked.

16. Taco on June 21, 2022 at 9:20 pm

What sharpening setup is that

17. BurninFuel on June 21, 2022 at 9:22 pm

I don’t even need one but I want them for wall art in my office they look to cool to use.

18. Aaron Fuller on June 21, 2022 at 9:23 pm

Yeah because any woodworker ever is going to sell his old planes because he bought a new one lol. I think our wife’s know better at this point

19. Brangustx on June 21, 2022 at 9:25 pm

I like your style and your approach to woodworking, however for me, there’s something very satisfying about spending hours restoring a 100 year old Stanley as a "worker" using an aftermarket plane iron from Hock and it performing just as well, or better than a Bridge City or a Lie-Nielson plane. It’s really cool when someone comes over to the shop and I pull out a #4 and flip it over and you see a mirrored bottom. The reality, in the end, it’s all about the cutter (iron): the polish, grind angle and to what grit. That BC plane WILL NOT replace my Stanley Bedrock 4 1/2.

20. radius north on June 21, 2022 at 9:27 pm

These are the planes to get if you like LOOKING at hand planes!!

21. Brads Woodturning on June 21, 2022 at 9:29 pm

I’ve always had a thing for bridge city tools but that price point is a killer. Maybe one day

22. Shane Baron Caudill on June 21, 2022 at 9:30 pm

i’m just going to say William made me do it.

23. Torres Workshop on June 21, 2022 at 9:33 pm

These are just not as good looking as a lie Nielsen smoothing plane. But never hurts for options to be there for everyone

24. Christophe Gabriëls on June 21, 2022 at 9:33 pm

Been watching you for 2 weeks now. The stroke of the moustache in the reflection of the plane blade convinced me that you are the real deal. Thanks for the content keep up the good work. P.S. randomly got hold of a festool domino just after watching your Three chair build series and cursing at y’all murican quick ‘n easy joinery in stead of using old skool tenon and mortise….. anyway… gonna be using your tips for using the dang machine 😉 thx in advance. Grtz from Antwerp! <3

25. rod potts on June 21, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Oh yes , that is one fine piece of engineering!

26. Jay C. White Cloud on June 21, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Couldn’t find it in the comments…???…BUT…the real reason we (aka real Artisan Craftspeople) purchase (or make) good tools is they simply do better work and hold their value…OR…actually go up in value…!!!

I now have been doing traditional work for over 40 years (on and off) and have tools that I have had for over 30 years that I can now sell for more than I paid for them…My Makita Chain Mortiser, for example, is over 28 years old, in great shape, and has been worked REAL HARD over those years. It cost me $850 in the late 80s. My last offer for it was…$1200!!!

Another example…I purchase "low use" excellent handmade tools from Japan, Korea, China, India, etc… I will use these professionally and when I think they only have maybe a few years left in "professional service" I will either gift them to an apprentice or resell them to "hobbyist" and/or collectors for usually twice the amount I paid for them and start the process over again…!!! Note, professional woodworkers, if producing product and keep razor-sharp tools…WILL…!!!…wear out tools both hand and power-based or need them refurbished or reforged if they do not send them to someone that will only use them…part-time. Many (not all) tools have a limited life span when used professionally so must be "upgraded" and/or rebuilt to continue their life (if used professionally?) this includes shop tools which for me have usually been over 100 years on and in continuous service but all have been "refurbished!!!"

I know for a fact that all of the Bridgecity Tools (I’ve owned them) will hold or go up in value…IF…taken care of!!! Simply put…IT’S MONEY IN THE BANK AND EARNING INTEREST AS WELL AS BEING OF GREAT SERVICE TO YOU IN YOUR CRAFT OF WOODWORKING…!!!

27. Hydrophobic Goldfish on June 21, 2022 at 9:35 pm

I didnt know Mario and Luigi had a younger brother, but DAMN thats a schweet tool

28. John Moody on June 21, 2022 at 9:36 pm

Thin Shavings. That’s it!

"Hey Hunny, you know those Philly cheesteaks you have been wanting? With this tool I can shave the meat to the exact thickness that you want."

Yeah, that’s not going to work

29. Dave Pierce on June 21, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Once again, you have made me laugh. This becoming a thing … a laughing thing and not some other kind of thing … but you do make me laugh and that’s a good thing! Cheers

30. Zamboni on June 21, 2022 at 9:40 pm

I thought all you needed was a flat bottom, not necessarily polished. At least that’s what I have heard from other well known woodworkers.

31. Eric Yocom on June 21, 2022 at 9:41 pm

If you’re really in a bind with your spouse, you can offer the packaging as a gift box. #winwin 😆

32. Roscoe Pattern Works on June 21, 2022 at 9:42 pm

Where’s the bull nose plane, or the jointer plane or even the compass plane. And for $1000 I want the kitchen sink too. Don’t need to convince my wife, you convinced me, I don’t need it. Thanks.

33. Adam Fikri on June 21, 2022 at 9:43 pm

8:09 the gucci bag?

34. Nathaniel Snyder on June 21, 2022 at 9:47 pm

Seems a bit gimmicky,as does a lot of BC tools. I’ll stick with LN

35. WestCoastMods on June 21, 2022 at 9:48 pm

Looks like you got these for free…good for you. But why didn’t you buy these when you were just learning, as you are suggesting others to do? These high end tools should be bought once you know what you’re doing and have built up some experience, maybe a lot of experience….and also have committed yourself to doing woodworking for the long haul…these are not for the beginner or average weekend warrior.

36. Isn't that Rich on June 21, 2022 at 9:48 pm

Bridge City has an incredible sale now! the HP-12 was $1079. now $459. Several others are more than 50% off.

37. Chris Morris on June 21, 2022 at 9:51 pm

There’s no doubt these are of the highest quality, but for a little under £1600 for all of these planes in the UK ($2160), I think I’ll stick to my Lie-Nielsen planes. I can buy a no.4, a no.5 and a no.102 block plane for £845 all in ($1140) and be able to make things just as nice – perhaps with a few low cost jigs. The planes you’re showing do look very adjustable, but most people think Lie-Nielsen are a lot of money, but BCT are on a whole different plane of existence (no pun intended).

38. David Janis on June 21, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Hey let us know when you become a dealer?

39. JB Tallullah on June 21, 2022 at 9:52 pm

I’ve wanted one of these for a while. I always felt like there weren’t enough videos from trusted influencers to get one, but if it’s good enough William Douglas?… I guess I need to just tell my wife it’s a good investment. Great vid.

40. Dev Emch on June 21, 2022 at 9:52 pm

First you failed to make shavings. How do we know it even works? Second, ever use a Stanley 46 or 55? You need an engineering degree just to set one up. Yah but they replace a bunch of planes. That is why you see them available with low usage. Thirdly what are you guys doing? Working wood or collecting stuff for the trinket shelf?

I bought used planes and when I could not find the used plane I was after I got Lie Nielsen. I have an older BC hand drill and love it. But the new made in China BC turns me off. LN is made to an extreme level of accuracy and quality from locally sourced materials and labor. LN is doing things right. And their prices are more inline with a tool that a professional furniture maker can afford. Albeit painfully!

41. grant williams on June 21, 2022 at 9:55 pm

I’ve been interesting in these planes, but they’ve always come across as gimmicky to me. The ability to flip the blade doesn’t seem worth it if I could just buy two full planes for the same price with different angles.

Curious to see your thoughts though!

42. Jeremy McClanahan on June 21, 2022 at 9:55 pm

If you are trying to pitch this plane as a "money saver" …..you are a fool.

43. John Wescott on June 21, 2022 at 9:56 pm

I have a wooden smoothing plane with a steel mouth I purchased over 50 years ago probably cost £2 and I wouldn’t swop my plane for yours.

44. Henry Collins on June 21, 2022 at 9:56 pm

If anyone wants to buy a random person on the internet a hand plane for Christmas, give me a call.

45. Rich Van Meter on June 21, 2022 at 9:57 pm

How do we sign up or find more info about Meet Your Maker? I’m in AZ and would love to attend!

46. Cal L on June 21, 2022 at 9:57 pm

I would normally tell my wife it’s a good decoration. She hasn’t said anything bad about my (very complete) set of veritas planes yet lol.

47. Hammer300c on June 21, 2022 at 9:58 pm

Take your damn like. As soon as you said "If I buy this set, I will be able to sell 5 to 6 tools and get one step closer getting the car in the garage."
    That joke hits close to home for me… haha.

48. Simon r on June 21, 2022 at 10:01 pm

I can see it now….Maker’s Mobile you and Jason together in the same place…..well I just know that’s one video I will be looking out for. It’s going to be comedy gold that’s for certain nomatter what you do!!! I’m guessing did any of the reasons why you needed these plains work when you tried telling your wife that you had to have them 🤔 😏!!! As always guy’s 💯% 👍 🇬🇧.

49. Paul Friedman on June 21, 2022 at 10:01 pm

"One plane to rule them all"
    Are you saying that these planes were forged in the fires of Mount Doom by Sauron?

50. Sprint on June 21, 2022 at 10:02 pm

Hahaha good sell. Man makes emotional decisions and then uses logic to back him up.