60 – Woodworking 101 FREE ONLINE COURSE LESSON 1 Part 7 of 8 Measuring Layout Tools

This is LESSON 1 Part 7 of 8 “Measuring and Layout Tools” of our free 16 week woodworking 101 online course.

Lesson number one is a basic introduction to the tools needed for woodworking. Since it is a long video we have broken it down into 8 conveniently short parts.

This segment covers Measuring and Layout Tools.

This is a specifically designed curriculum created to teach all of the essentials of woodworking to take someone with no knowledge to the level of a moderately experienced woodworker. The entire course is free and will be posted online. During the course we will also be practicing our newly developed skills by building projects. We will provide plans for all course projects free on our website.

The course will cover a comprehensive introduction to all necessary woodworking tools, lumber selection, adhesives, joinery, building methods, styles, sanding, finish prep, final finish, and much more…

t-shirts from medium – 5X available here: https://kingsfinewoodworking.com/collections/fan-merchandise

Woodworking 101
Handheld Power Tool List

Things we show in this video:

Circular Saw and Accessories
DeWalt Circular Saw
Circular Saw Blades
Clamping Straight Edge Saw Guide

Drills, Impact Driver and Bits
DeWalt Cordless Drill and Impact Driver Kit
DeWalt Hammer Drill
Square drive bits
Torx drive bits
Phillips drive bits
Milwaukee cobalt drill bit set
Brad point drill bit set
Economy Forstner bit set

5” sanding discs 150 grit
5” sanding discs 220 grit

Clamps
Bar clamps
Bessey Parallel clamp kit
Pipe Clamps
Quick clamp squeeze clamp kit

Other hand tools
Japanese Dozuki saw
Wood Rasp (multi-purpose 4 way)
Wood rasp kit
Bench Chisels Wood River 6 piece set (the set I use)
Low Angle Jack Plane

Measuring, marking and layout tools
Digital calipers
Woodpeckers Square
Machinists try square
Combination square
Small steel ruler
Large steel ruler
Marking knife
Dixon Ticonderoga pencil
Fat Max 6’ Measuring tape
Dewalt 9’ Measuring tape

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Link to the KFW Community Woodworking group. Share pictures of your work & get help if needed. Join our Community Page. Woodworkers helping other woodworkers. Share advice, get project ideas. Free tips. Insider information. Get the best deals on lumber & tools: https://www.facebook.com/groups/KingsFineWoodworkingCommunity/

Help support us through Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/KingsFineWoodworking

Purchase plans on our website: https://kingsfinewoodworking.com/collections/project-plans-for-sale

Please like and share our videos. Thank You!
We love teaching the world to do woodworking.

1. John Isley on June 23, 2022 at 9:16 pm

You have the best how to, woodworking on you tube.

2. Joy Glass on June 23, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Is there a video for Lesson 1 – part 8 of 8?

3. Jett Keyser on June 23, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Always appreciate your offerings…This video…for me…strikes the perfect balance between simply talking and demonstrating…the last couple of videos would have been enhanced with just a little more demonstration…Thank you…

4. Matt Anderson on June 23, 2022 at 9:19 pm

Another great video. The 3-4-5 rule is also good to use for large layout where the square is not big enough. Enjoying the series. cheers

5. Hassan Al-Mosawi on June 23, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Thanks for showing & sharing that

6. Parker Lab on June 23, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Your videos are always packed with great information! I bought your 16×10 shed plans as well. It’s great that you have step by step videos too.

7. gladboy on June 23, 2022 at 9:24 pm

👍👍👍

8. K BBB on June 23, 2022 at 9:26 pm

Thank You.

9. NZErehwon on June 23, 2022 at 9:27 pm

More great information Professor King !!!!!!

10. Slade on June 23, 2022 at 9:33 pm

Do you ever use a speed square? I find them pretty versatile

11. Kitchen Science on June 23, 2022 at 9:35 pm

I can never get the combination square to go back together once the ruler has been removed. What’s your secret to put the ruler back in to the combination platform?

12. Holly Smith on June 23, 2022 at 9:37 pm

I bought a PEC combination square for $35 because it has a small scratch on the blade but it is a heavy and accurate square much better than the cheaper one I had. If u don’t have the budget for the high dollar ones this is a great way 2 get a quality square really cheap.

13. Cindy Carmichael on June 23, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Great video. Very clear and well explained.

14. Ath Mostafa on June 23, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Thanks, looking for 8 episode 🔨👌

15. barstad 9591 on June 23, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Oh, man, every time I watch one of your videos, I end up putting more tools in my Amazon cart!

Do you have calipers that gives an inside measurement?
    Please give me a link, if possible, for your longer (24”?) stainless steel ruler.

Quick suggestion: Do a playlist for these classes.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Oh, I see 👀 your gravity clamp, which was missing from your clamp video. 😂.

16. Marec R on June 23, 2022 at 9:42 pm

Where is :
    1 Framing Square
    2 Speed Square
    3 T – Square

17. Dale Williamson on June 23, 2022 at 9:43 pm

Great info James, thanks for sharing

18. WB Fine Woodworking With Don Bullock on June 23, 2022 at 9:44 pm

As usual a good introduction to woodworking tools. I had never seen the DeWalt 9’ magnetic tapes. They really look handy. The magnet attaches to tools and the bright yellow makes them easy to find.

19. linop412 on June 23, 2022 at 9:47 pm

I don’t understand what makes the woodpecker square so expensive? Is it simply built better or does it have other features?

20. John Isley on June 23, 2022 at 9:47 pm

When is the new out feed table coming I need to build a new one to.

21. Smithson Creations Handcrafted Woodworking on June 23, 2022 at 9:48 pm

👍👍👍

22. photography_by_j_cedar IG on June 23, 2022 at 9:49 pm

One thing messed me up A LOT when I first started wood working. You’d think that tape measures, even the cheaper or off brand ones would be accurate because, well and inch is an inch. NOPE. One should measure all measuring tools against known accurate device. I had to toss a few tape measures myself because they were anywhere from 1/16" to 1/8" off.
    Great lesson videos, thanks.

23. Gary Rodencal on June 23, 2022 at 9:51 pm

Thanks James, another very informative video. Is that really true about the "try" square?

24. David Capote on June 23, 2022 at 9:54 pm

will you be creating a list of all the tools you have gone over in this series that you feel is needed to be a woodworker that can be downloaded.

25. aceshigh1158 on June 23, 2022 at 9:54 pm

Those DeWalt tape measures are awesome… I have 2 and have them on my bandsaw which is magnetic. Also the perfect size to hang one off your pocket and not pull your pants down! 🙂

26. Alfred Neumann on June 23, 2022 at 9:55 pm

I would have demonstrated also auto-stop tape measures.

27. christopher hickerman on June 23, 2022 at 9:56 pm

Hi James the combination square has 1 more feature ( just in case you don’t know) . The little golden knob at the back of it is a pull out marking scribe 👍

28. Richard Madsen on June 23, 2022 at 9:57 pm

Well done, a very good presentation. I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge and experience. I hope you gather sponsors as you go along. I have been following you for some time and like the family you have involved with your business. Thank you.

29. Rockjockmatt on June 23, 2022 at 9:58 pm

Woodpecker Tools are awesome if you can afford them. The one thing I would note is to check your measuring tools accuracy especially if you are using several using several different types and brands.

30. Wade B. on June 23, 2022 at 9:58 pm

Am I all caught up now?
    Thanks for all the effort you put forth to share with the rest of us. I had to stop during the "clamp class" and run to the garage to check squeeze clamp and the spreader function…face palm time. You learn something everyday!!
    I would like to share one thing if I may. I also have quite a few tools from Ridgid and like them just fine. However, once the original return period is up and you need warranty service you don’t take them back to the Depot. They will look at you like you do have that booger hanging from your nose. For warranty service you will deal directly with Ridgid and have to send it to their authorized repair centers.
    Looking forward to more.

31. Anthony Hunt on June 23, 2022 at 10:00 pm

Whats up with the HUGE hex net laying on the table?

32. Make Brooklyn on June 23, 2022 at 10:00 pm

More good info! As a hand tool woodworker, marking and measuring tools are some of my favorites! Many of them like my marking & mortise gauges are little works of art unto themselves. I can also confirm that hand tool guys do generally prefer a knife line to a pencil line, for many of us it is a better fit with the way we tend to work.

33. royster211085 on June 23, 2022 at 10:02 pm

Really enjoying this series, I will be watching the lot!

34. Walter Rider on June 23, 2022 at 10:04 pm

35. Abam Ady on June 23, 2022 at 10:05 pm

you’re the best GURU in the world

36. Bill K. on June 23, 2022 at 10:07 pm

Another great lesson James, thanks for sharing it.

37. jajablonsky on June 23, 2022 at 10:08 pm

Another informative video. Love the Woodpecker’s tools even though they are a bit expensive. Very high quality tools. Do you ever use a speed square? I find them handy especially when I need to make a cross-cut using a circular saw.

38. Malik Ahmad on June 23, 2022 at 10:12 pm