Kids' woodworking project: candlestick | Mere Mini

Kids' woodworking project: candlestick | Mere Mini

Download my FREE GUIDE to setting up a shop for under $1000 ►► http://mytoollist.com/

Getting young children involved in woodworking can be a challenge. Here’s a simple candlestick project that you can make quickly with kids and leave them with a sense of accomplishment. It’s a great small-group project for short attention spans. More about this project here:

A simple candle holder project for kids | Mere Mini

Subscribe to Woodworking For Mere Mortals. Easy woodworking projects every Friday!

—————-
—————-
Equip your woodworking shop for under $1,000: https://theweekendwoodworker.com/tww-…

PATREON ► https://www.patreon.com/wwmm
TOOLS I USE► https://amzn.to/2F3hxQc
WWMM T-SHIRTS► http://amzn.to/2scxfYl
FACEBOOK► https://www.facebook.com/WoodworkingF…
INSTAGRAM► http://instagram.com/steveramsey_wwmm
—————-
MAILING ADDRESS:

WWMM
448 Ignacio Blvd. #237
Novato CA 94949
—————-
Woodworking for Mere Mortals® is a registered trademark of ZRAM Media, LLC.
#woodworking #powertools #WWMM
Category
Howto & Style
————–

Music from Jason Shaw at http://audionautix.com/

1. Claire Davis on June 25, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Thankyou for this vid. My girl wants to make something for grandma, this is just the thing!

2. Rivera’s Build on June 25, 2022 at 9:20 pm

Great woodworking project.

3. Alicia Reales on June 25, 2022 at 9:27 pm

You’re a genius!

4. Wyatt J. Sullivant on June 25, 2022 at 9:29 pm

I’m 12 and have made about 7 or 8 sets of Lincoln Logs and have sold most of them. I’ve made some other projects you’ve made, and I really like your channel! Thanks!!

5. Dave Stevo on June 25, 2022 at 9:31 pm

This is just superb, I have been researching "drill press accessories woodworking" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Ever heard of – Yiyli Yeyavid Booster – (search on google ) ? Ive heard some super things about it and my mate got excellent success with it.

6. Doombuggy53 on June 25, 2022 at 9:33 pm

Love your videos, dude. Keep it up.

7. luchelas on June 25, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Cool

8. ChopN Hack on June 25, 2022 at 9:35 pm

Great project for kids, thanks for sharing!

9. rickvangurp nl on June 25, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Hi Steve,
    What a wonderfull idea to do that with a primary school. I’m a woodworking teacher on a secondary vocational school in the Netherlands and I’ve got a small tip for you. When you saw with the handsaw, try to grab the handle like a gun. Then you can adjust your saw with your indexfinger.

10. Ernest Hemingway on June 25, 2022 at 9:38 pm

This is pure gold. MORE PLS!!!!!

11. Charles Spillman on June 25, 2022 at 9:38 pm

I used to play with tools like hammers,nails,drill and a mouse sander in only 13 and I use ever took my grandpa has

12. Aidan McLaren on June 25, 2022 at 9:38 pm

Hey Steve thanks for your videos im working at a summer camp in the summer with my own wood shop !! But there are like 15 children in a class arrr crazy I can relate with them having short attention spans you videos have helped loads

13. videogalore on June 25, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Thanks as usual Steve, great idea, we need young creative juices to flow and a sense of a achievement is a brilliant way of encouraging that!

14. Gordon Mitchell on June 25, 2022 at 9:41 pm

Great stuff

15. Mike Cruz on June 25, 2022 at 9:44 pm

Thanks for the project idea and instructions. It was a big hit with the cub scouts!

16. Carrie W. Ferrero on June 25, 2022 at 9:45 pm

Makingwoodworking may seem unattainable particularly when you are clumsy, but it’s not.

17. Alexis Kelly on June 25, 2022 at 9:45 pm

Buildingwoodwork looks like challenging particularly if you are born with ten thumbs, but it isn’t.

18. Joseph Davis on June 25, 2022 at 9:45 pm

That’s a great thing to share with kids Steve. I’m sure they will always remember. Good stuff.

19. HonestDoubter on June 25, 2022 at 9:47 pm

This is a cool one Steve.

20. Chris Small on June 25, 2022 at 9:47 pm

Thanks, Steve….I can use this with my Cub Scouts!

21. QT Patooty on June 25, 2022 at 9:48 pm

This is an excellent video. Thank you so much! I’ll be doing this with my Girl Scouts today and feel much less overwhelmed with this project because of your great detailed instructions. I’m not a woodworker but as a Girl Scout leader get called upon to teach many skills I don’t have 😀

22. Chris Pine on June 25, 2022 at 9:50 pm

Several years ago I was a member of a woodworking group and we would do some goodwill things in teh community. We had this booth at teh county fair and we were making birdhouses with kids there at the fair. It was one of teh fuinnest things!  We had all teh pieces preped holes drilles etc and all theyu had to do was hammer nails and assemble it. They had such a good time and were so proud of there birdhouse when they left. Good Stuff!    Thanks for sharing Steve!
    Chris

23. Godwin Oliver O. Delica on June 25, 2022 at 9:50 pm

Woodworking for Mere Children (WWMC) I could say.

24. scottsadventures on June 25, 2022 at 9:53 pm

Might have to try that.

25. Ken Shoemaker on June 25, 2022 at 9:53 pm

Thank you for a wonderful idea. I will teach stagecraft at the local high school next school year and I have been looking for a way to introduce the kids to using tools without too much fuss. This is it! many thanks. But please, Steve, use safety glasses. I would love to show your videos but cannot because you never wear eye protection.

26. RJBWoodTurner on June 25, 2022 at 9:53 pm

Steve,
      Excellent kid friendly project using limited tools.

Regards,
    Bob

27. AMiR.B TaTToo on June 25, 2022 at 9:54 pm

Gz m8 !  JUST.
    TRY TO MAKE VIDEOS WITHOUT TALKING SO MUCH

28. key mantheboi on June 25, 2022 at 9:54 pm

I made a shelf with help from my grandad

29. G K on June 25, 2022 at 9:54 pm

I may be teaching a woodworking class to kids within the coming days, I want to make sure it is completely safe, is there anything you can do to make sure the wood doesn’t light on fire?

30. Wood 'n' Stuff w/ Steve French on June 25, 2022 at 9:55 pm

I love it. I, too, have been "called upon" to conduct woodworking ‘classes’ for groups of kids (Cub Scouts) several times now. I always had the kids make my "magic propeller" toy. It’s quick an easy. But I’ve always wondered what I’d do if I ever had to do it with the same kids again. You’ve got me thinking in some new directions now. Thanks!

31. Ben Gim on June 25, 2022 at 9:56 pm

In Sweden we have the subjekt "slöjd" (or slojd), in all schools, and I should never placed a candle in The top of that "tower" without placing a metal-sheet between it and the candle. Use the lid of an tin-can, so is it much safer against fire!

32. barflybean on June 25, 2022 at 9:58 pm

As a kid (4 or 5 years old) I used to take a bucket of water and a paint brush and pretend to paint the back deck. The water would make the red stain on the deck look darker until the sun dried it up, hours of fun.

33. Schnabeltier7I4 on June 25, 2022 at 9:58 pm

#anoyingsoundtrack how long will it last?????

34. Marcenaria Amadora on June 25, 2022 at 10:01 pm

Excelente projeto para as crianças. Visitem meu canal.
    Hi Steve; nice project for kids

35. cartoon80s90s on June 25, 2022 at 10:01 pm

Every time I see dislikes in this type of videos I wonder what kind of people wouldn’t like this. Then I decide they are not worth my time and I continue with my life.

36. truebluekit on June 25, 2022 at 10:01 pm

Thanks for the vid and pointers, Steve. Right now all my kids’ tools are plastic. They’re 4 & 3, but both of them would take their plastic hacksaws and really go at the stretcher of the table I built them.

Don’t know when I’d let them use my saws though. I use Shark Saws, and while some people may not think much of them, they’re very sharp and fit my needs perfectly. The first time I used them, the blade somehow bounced off the wood and a single tooth landed on my thumb. It was such a light nick, but it drew blood. So, it might still be some time.. oh well.

37. Николай Смирнов on June 25, 2022 at 10:02 pm

Спасибо! Просто и ребенку будет понятно !

38. Greg Scott on June 25, 2022 at 10:03 pm

Very nice Steve!

39. Jake Enns on June 25, 2022 at 10:05 pm

That is indeed very simple and an excellent first project, one that is very easy to expand on if they are a little older and have a greater attention span.

40. Techmatt167 on June 25, 2022 at 10:06 pm

I made it

41. Lord_Itachi on June 25, 2022 at 10:06 pm

I am 15 but I would say a I am good with wood working

42. John Gragg on June 25, 2022 at 10:07 pm

Awesome idea, Steve. Simple and fast. Could also be used for older kids to show them how a router can dress up something basic.

43. Peter Tran on June 25, 2022 at 10:09 pm

can you please make an other big project, maybe something like a gumball dispenser

44. Ali Mirjamali on June 25, 2022 at 10:09 pm

Tried to get my cousin involved in woodworking; asked me if there is an App for that. Kids do not play with real Lego these days, let alone woodworking.

45. Matthew Turner on June 25, 2022 at 10:12 pm

Good project for kid starting woodwork who doesn’t have ANY fancy tools or benches, basically I’m starting with a hammer and nails

46. Linda D. Householder on June 25, 2022 at 10:13 pm

You can save effort and time when making wooden furniture if you’ve got the comprehensive diagram & step-by-step tutorials.

47. Sir Scofferoff on June 25, 2022 at 10:14 pm

Reminds me of the first ever wood project I embarked upon at school, it was going to be a wooden Egg, all hand tools at that time, and of course it never got finished.
    If they had tablesaws (we were allowed to use!) routers and sanders then it would have been a MASTERPIECE! 😀

48. AGLO GamingCo on June 25, 2022 at 10:15 pm

i am 11 and i though i have been woodworking for 3 years and even have my own shop no jokes so i think some of the kids you teach might do i again

49. Xavier Lemoine on June 25, 2022 at 10:16 pm

Haha, great useful tutorial

50. Will Man on June 25, 2022 at 10:17 pm

I am a kid and I do wood working projects that go on for about 2 weeks every time I can other times like after school I go into the work shop and just make something out of wood