1. pocket83 on June 28, 2022 at 9:37 pm

This is one of the most useful woodworking vids that I have ever seen.
    All of my block planes are in a sad state. One is rusty, one is uber-dull, one is teeny-tiny, and one came from the factory too flawed to use. I actually feel guilty after seeing the care with which you use a block plane.
    I am going to go work on them right now.

2. 1too3fore on June 28, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Isn’t it better to plane them holding them together?

3. Andrew Hassel on June 28, 2022 at 9:41 pm

Ah, Prier. I looked on your website 🙂

4. B Eric Ivers on June 28, 2022 at 9:41 pm

Thank you sir.

5. ronin4711 on June 28, 2022 at 9:47 pm

While I respect your years of experience in woodworking, I think that some other tools are superior to the Regular Block Plane, even if you don’t like it.
    IMHO, the Low Angle Block Plane in that demo would have cut "circles" around your block plane, faster and easier, I know, because I tried them both, so, don’t knock it if you don’t like it!
    Actually, my VERITAS Low Angle Jack Plane, cuts "better" and smoother, not to mention, EASIER than any of my Stanley/Record, Bed Rock, #4 & #4 1/2 , #5, #6, #7 and #8/  #608 variety of standard angle planes and they’re ALL razor sharp (sharper than yours, in any way).
    And one more thing I have to add, in a case like your demo of using the block plane, a "shooting board" is ten times more accurate and easy to use, in a shop or even on the "road"…
    BTW I have also a Veritas Low Angle block plane, by far Superior to any Standard Angle block planes!
    Just for your info and the readers…

6. Andrew Hassel on June 28, 2022 at 9:52 pm

@CustomFurnitureMaker

Who was your violin making teacher??

7. Mark Bryant on June 28, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Thanks for the video. I have for years avoided my block plane because I felt like an idiot trying to get the stupid thing to make nice clean shavings instead of gouging my until that point perfectly crafted projects. Your video was the first time I was actually able to determine my folly. Now I love my block plane. They sure are trouble to get setup correctly that first time. I’m clear now why so many people say to buy an old plane from the internet.

8. hachano on June 28, 2022 at 9:53 pm

could you tell me what make or model this plane is? cheers

9. x01001000110101x on June 28, 2022 at 9:55 pm

I heard the tiniest violin start playing at the end of the video.

10. Kerry Foster on June 28, 2022 at 10:01 pm

Great video! I love my block plane. Use it all the time. Great for end grain and smoothing small surfaces the jack plane can’t touch.

11. nmssis on June 28, 2022 at 10:01 pm

if you had a "welt" or "swell" about 1×2 inches…what would you recommend to rid of that to make the wood flat again?

Thanks!

12. Mark Goldfain on June 28, 2022 at 10:03 pm

Did your violin teacher say why he would want a block plane on a desert island? Probably because it would make good shavings for starting fires. 🙂 Seriously, though, thanks for the informative video.

13. Amelia Buckley on June 28, 2022 at 10:06 pm

You may go here to discover the specific wood working plan & tutorials

14. Jakob Krogh on June 28, 2022 at 10:08 pm

Fantastic video Geoffrey! Very informative, very cool, very good! ‘,:-)

15. alejofar on June 28, 2022 at 10:14 pm

this makes me want to learn how to make stuff

16. strawalker on June 28, 2022 at 10:15 pm

Awesome chair! Informative video, thanks.

17. jkfitz14 on June 28, 2022 at 10:15 pm

Man, I’m glad you added that comment the, "Block planes drive most people crazy." I thought it was just me. I disassembled my block plane (the same one in the video), sharpened the blade, put a bevel on the blade and reassembled the plane. Now I cant get the plane to cut. Also, the lateral lever doesn’t move the blade from side to side like it should even though it’s installed correctly.

18. Clifton on June 28, 2022 at 10:17 pm

What brand honing plane is that?

19. Carmine Iacono on June 28, 2022 at 10:17 pm

Thanks, this was a very useful video.
    However, could you neglected to indicate the Stanley model number of the plane.

20. ke5ufg on June 28, 2022 at 10:24 pm

Thank you for the video. I am new to woodworking. You mention that you do not like low angle block planes. Please explain as I have no experience with either and would like to learn from your experience.

21. ziggydog24 on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 pm

Really good video. Just purchased a similar one based on the Stanley one. Could never get my blades sharp enough until I watched a video on Japanese wet stones. I also use the Veritas honing guide of which I’m now hooked on. My chisels and plane blades have never been sharper. Thanks again form across the pond on the North East Coast UK

22. LoomisRex on June 28, 2022 at 10:33 pm