DIY Dust Collector System with Homemade Blast Gates and Automatic Start/Stop Function

Continuing off with my DIY dust collector cyclone system I added all the duct work to hook up dust collection to my tools. I show how I added dust ports to the router table, drill press, table saw and band saw. The drill press dust collection is via a loc-line system sold by lee valley. I made homemade blast gates from some hardboard and 5/8 melamine particle board. I used a non contact magnet door alarm system to control a low voltage dc relay to control the motor operation when the blast gates are opened and closed.

I made free plans for the blast gates on my website (link below)

Buy a T-shirt to support the channel:

Visit my website for free plans and see viewer builds:

Follow me on Instagram:

Support DIY Builds on Patreon:
#DIYBuilds
#Woodworking

#DIY

1. Colin van den Mosselaar on July 29, 2022 at 10:19 pm

Well, your caulking could be improved, but other than that, awesome! Love the magnetic switches!

2. Nate Rogers on July 29, 2022 at 10:22 pm

Haven’t finished watching but what is the music

3. Owl Eye Views on July 29, 2022 at 10:26 pm

my favorite dust collector video, love that you have flip flops on too. man after my own heart.

4. Mark Miller on July 29, 2022 at 10:29 pm

Absolutely love the blast gate turning on the motor. I am trying to figure out how to retro fit mine with this. Any link you can share to what you used as your coil relay for the gates?

5. Abel Salinas on July 29, 2022 at 10:38 pm

What’s the pipe you’d take out through the wall for? Does every dust collector need this type of exhaust pipe?

6. Enrique Abad on July 29, 2022 at 10:40 pm

great video! how do you call that blue semi rigid pipe (10:08)??

7. Phil Meanor on July 29, 2022 at 10:40 pm

Great use of materials.

8. Fabio Vermelho jucá on July 29, 2022 at 10:42 pm

furniture plan mexican . .

9. Chuck's poke on July 29, 2022 at 10:44 pm

Fun watch the project. I am stilling finding pieces from 80 plus pieces furniture item that I had to assembly. Watch and admire craftsman and tool skills excellent presentation.

10. Ext' Azerty on July 29, 2022 at 10:44 pm

Installing the DC coil relay is a brilliant idea. Very nice video. You did a great and inspiring job.

11. salvador purificacion on July 29, 2022 at 10:45 pm

The idea was very good, the suction was working . INSTALLED a directional flap to open & close whichever machine that operates so that suction will be strong enough.. BUT then he can have a better distribution of air volume with constant FLOW rate if the diameter of the pipe is reduced as it goes further by using the formula Q = VA.. This is just to share my technical knowledge & experience. GREAT. very useful for wood working home industry

12. Arpad Builds This - Woodworking on July 29, 2022 at 10:46 pm

Canadians love mastercraft! I moved from Canada to Seattle and made sure to keep every mastercraft tool! Canada!

13. George Rob Smith on July 29, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Outstanding job!!!

14. Hi-Gain Guitar Channel on July 29, 2022 at 10:48 pm

Bruh! Those relays just blew my mind!

15. Alexander Kopál on July 29, 2022 at 10:49 pm

👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾🇸🇰

16. Mar Sch on July 29, 2022 at 10:49 pm

hello congratulations for your work, what kind of pipe is the blue one, to vacuum the chips of the drill column? Tanks

17. Stephan De L'ange on July 29, 2022 at 10:50 pm

Hi, first let me say that I really liked your video. It gave me a lot to think about, it was pretty instructive.
    But I have a couple of questions. One is ask about the piping! PVC vs the flexible hoses. Now I know that the ridges of the flexhose affect the pressurized suction.
    But let’s just say, I have a very small shop "a bedroom turned into a shop, small shop to be exact", and I have a fair amount of flexible hose, and I want to build my dust collection system. It Would be for about 6 tools, or 6 hoses, 4 tools, and 2 loose hoses for hand tools and clean up.
    So meaning 6 Blast-Gates.
    Now here’s the first question. If I would cut the flexible hoses, so they would reach each separate connector, to each Y connector "precisely" fairly tight, no bending of the hoses. They would fit pretty much to the exact length. Could it do as good OR close to as good as the PVC "as a some-what substitute" OR even as tight as possible the ridges would still cause a certain amount of loss of suction?
    And 2nd. My Shop-Vac is a 2 1/2" hose 6.5HP. Now, Should I use 2 1/2" PVC piping all around? Or should I use a widener and use 4" pipping? Should I get better suction with the 4" or it would be the exact same with the 2 1/2"?

Please give me your professional opinion! I have 1 shot, so I need to do this right.
    Thanks for your time and great video. Thumbs Up!

18. Greg Fields on July 29, 2022 at 10:50 pm

One word, "Genius."

19. Bennett Vinson on July 29, 2022 at 10:50 pm

As an amateur with woodworker, I typically feel overpowered with the entire arrangement. Be that as it may, this arrangements drove me through with much clarity and effortlessness woodplans.works I now work like a genius. That is great!

20. 자대연-최태선 on July 29, 2022 at 10:53 pm

Very cool!!!

21. jdheil01 on July 29, 2022 at 10:54 pm

How do you like venting to the outside? I am considering this instead of buying a high dollar canister filter, but I’m worried that during the winter I will be exhausting too much heat along with the dust.

22. ARDC Guru on July 29, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Get rid of the shitty background music.

23. Martin Gagne on July 29, 2022 at 10:54 pm

great job and lot of nice idea!!!! im working to set up my shop and i like your things ….just subscribe thx

24. SamWise301 on July 29, 2022 at 10:55 pm

This isn’t a hate comment but you could of used a core drill bit for that hole through the wall that was pretty gash with the hammer

25. Lowe’s 2545 on July 29, 2022 at 10:56 pm

My brain hurts now…

26. Reynald Voste on July 29, 2022 at 10:59 pm

Bravo superb boulot

27. Tom Freer on July 29, 2022 at 10:59 pm

Best dust collection video on YouTube! Probably watched it 5x.

28. cyril1908 on July 29, 2022 at 11:00 pm

Nicely done 👍🏻👍🏻

29. Ned Flanders on July 29, 2022 at 11:00 pm

Great job and great video! No annoying music! Btw… how do you find the table saw dust collection works with the way you have it set up from the bottom? Does it stop the fine sawdust from geting in the air? My main concern is keeping the dust out of the air. I’m not that concerned about dust on the surface of the tool, or in the floor. I seem to be getting very sensitive to breathing the dust in the air.

30. JP Rognvald on July 29, 2022 at 11:00 pm

What about air exchange?

31. Good Luck Trying on July 29, 2022 at 11:01 pm

Neat job👍🏻

32. Pascal MATTER on July 29, 2022 at 11:01 pm

Hello
    Great work that I will be inspired by.
    Could you give us the references and the whole diagram to wire the electromagnetic sensors. And what is needed besides the sensors is there some kind of relay? Thank you in advance…

33. Damian Jones on July 29, 2022 at 11:02 pm

That’s brilliant, you’ve given me some ideas for my own sawdust collection.

34. Aaron Perez on July 29, 2022 at 11:03 pm

Chingón amigo

35. Евгений Анохин on July 29, 2022 at 11:04 pm

Как называются датчики магнитные? Может на али экспресс есть?

36. lakearea on July 29, 2022 at 11:04 pm

Which low voltage relay did you buy? Could you please post a link?

37. Mark Crum on July 29, 2022 at 11:05 pm

Sorry, but you are killing your cfm with those tight bends.

38. Michael Oakes on July 29, 2022 at 11:05 pm

In addition to the relays toggling the dust collector’s motor, I think it might not be a bad idea to have a tool lockout system, where having the blast gates closed would essentially disable it’s assosciated tool, and opening the gate would allow power to reach the tool.

39. john michaels on July 29, 2022 at 11:05 pm

Yup, subbed. This is exactly what I wanted to do. Thank you.

40. George Burchett on July 29, 2022 at 11:06 pm

Great job! Looking to do this to my small shop. But wondering if the venting of the system to the outdoors would remove the AC/Heating of the shop? I would like to do that, but wonder if this would prevent climate control?

41. Saf. on July 29, 2022 at 11:07 pm

Hi.!
    — Beautiful work.

42. Jay Ray's DIY on July 29, 2022 at 11:07 pm

this is good. I thought about running a pipe with the dryer vent through my wall as well, but since it is brick, I’m not sure if I will.

43. Theo FarmManager on July 29, 2022 at 11:08 pm

I think most people will find elements of this installation very useful. I say “elements” because everyone’ building and machines differ and so you have to adapt. I think there are a few basics:

– buy as powerful an extractor as you can. Almost certainly, you will acquire more machines rather than go to less machines
    – make sure you have the right dust extractor/vacuum for each machine. The right extractor for a planer is not the right one for a sander.
    – keep your system as flexible as possible- by which I mean, machines change, layout evolves – so plan with those in mind
    – keep your dust extraction pipe as big as possible for as long as possible. For instance, don’t reduce from 6” to 4” just outside the extractor; keep that 6” for as long as you can
    – use a minimum amount of flexible hose. Flexible hose is probably inevitable but it is not anywhere as efficient as smooth pipe
    – make all bends as gentle as possible. Look for long bends (larger radius) rather than tight bends. Where you branch off, don’t use a 90 T fitting; use a Y fitting as it allows more flow
    – static electricity is a potential issue with using plastic pipe. How big an issue? I don’t know but the potential is there. So earth your plastic pipe; get copper wire (bare, not sheathed); you can earth on the outside of the pipe but my preference is to run continuous copper from each machine, twisted together where they meet other copper and superglue the wire to the inside in order to prevent rattling or interference to the dust flow. It takes longer than outside but I thin is more efficient and less messy. You don’t need to worry about static if you use metal pipe.
    – blast gates for every machine but as near the junction of the branch from the main pipe as possible. There is a balance between convenience and as near the main run as possible. In my view, wooden blast gates (see Katz Moses for my choice) are more efficient than steel for wood dust.
    – I don’t have those advanced sensors; I prefer a simpler technology of a remote to turn the extractor/s on or off. Just me, I understand TV remotes and so understand extractor remotes.
    – an outside vent (or even better, the whole extractor in a small building just outside the workshop) are great. Do it if you can.

I hope some of them helps somebody

44. Beth Murrow on July 29, 2022 at 11:08 pm

This is just awesome. Now if you would do it in slow motion I could follow. 😉

45. frank ortiz on July 29, 2022 at 11:11 pm

Awesome video great job is tgere a link for the relay that you use and the sensors that goes with it?

46. Al Watts on July 29, 2022 at 11:12 pm

Awesome vid/tutorial. No yammering like so many other vids. Just quickly showing the world how to do this yourself. I’m gonna have to make one of these myself. Thanks!

47. B. Jones on July 29, 2022 at 11:13 pm

Wow man this is awesome!

48. 이똘레랑스 on July 29, 2022 at 11:14 pm

역시 경선다운 경선입니다. 다들 하나같이 일꾼들입니다. 명연설들입니다. 자랑스럽습니다. 대견합니다.

49. The Businessman on July 29, 2022 at 11:15 pm

So without internal circulation, by venting the air outside, you create negative pressure in the shop. This would draw in air from ultimately outside. thus your shop gets cold / costs a fortune to keep warm during winter ?

50. Rhett Dunn on July 29, 2022 at 11:18 pm

Did you just grab the insulation with your bare hands and survive? Savage