Table Saw vs Circular Saw: Which is Best and Which Should You Buy First

Table Saw vs Circular Saw: Which is Best and Which Should You Buy First

Two popular types of power saws are the table saw and the circular saw. Both of these saws can be used in a variety of applications, offering you the ability to cut large and small pieces of material to length. But, you may be wondering which is the better saw, and when to use each one?

*FREE E-BOOK: How to Use Your Table Saw (Safely) https://sawshub.com/table-saw-ebook/
Download Now*

Read the entire article: https://sawshub.com/table-saw-vs-circular-saw/
Learn more about the SawsHub team here: https://sawshub.com/about/

We took a look at the table saw vs circular saw and provided our analysis below.

A table saw has a circular blade that extends from underneath the surface of a tabletop. The tabletop of a table saw acts as the support platform to rest the material to be cut on. The blade of your table saw lifts out above the tabletop, allowing you to move material through the blade as you cut it.

You use a table saw by pushing material through the blade, allowing you to control the direction of cut. Table saws cut exclusively in a straight line. Most table saws have ​an ability to tile the saw blade, relative to the table top, so you can cut miter angles in a straight line.

A circular saw is a handheld saw that uses a circular blade to cut. This type of saw can be driven by electricity, gasoline, motor, or a battery. Cordless circular saws are also very popular, making them a good option for on the job site as there is no cord to contend with.

As a circular saw’s blade spins, it chips away at the surface it is cutting. You have to move the saw with your hand across the length or width of the material you are cutting.

Because a circular saw relies on you to guide it, with no additional guides to help, the cuts that it produces are not totally precise. If your hand wavers, you will produce an inaccurate cut. But, a circular saw is very efficient at cutting quickly – both rip and cross-cuts.

While utilizing the same type of circular blade, that is where the similarities stop when looking at the circular saw vs table saw.

A table saw is a large power saw that specializes in high volume rip and cross cuts. A table saw is highly precise but rather inconvenient. It allows you to do large and complex woodworking projects around your house.

On the other hand, a circular saw is a compact hand saw that is extremely convenient. Many come cordless, allowing you to use them on a variety of DIY projects around your house.

Most beginners don’t have a need for a table saw, but everyone has a need for a circular saw. As you advance and take on larger projects, though, you’ll want to add a table saw to your tool kit. The specialized cuts that a table saw can make simply can’t be performed by a circular saw.

You can start small, picking up a cheaper table saw at first before needing to buy a more robust option.

If you can only choose one of these saws for your workshop, we recommend the circular saw as you’ll get plenty of use out of this lightweight saw.

Read the entire article: https://sawshub.com/table-saw-vs-circular-saw/

1. Steven on August 2, 2022 at 11:41 pm

Excellent video. Straight to the point, no BS. Appreciate it, new sub!

2. JoeLikesGames on August 2, 2022 at 11:43 pm

Im looking into buying a saw and im debating between table saw and miter saw. The biggest concern I have is price. I only have about $300 to spend on a saw and I know I can get an excellent miter saw for $300 but not a very good table saw for that price. What are your thoughts

3. ApplePotato on August 2, 2022 at 11:43 pm

The table saw is more dangerous in my opinion for beginners.
    1) Pushing the material through means your finger are closer to the blade. Pushing sticks that usually comes with the saw are a kick back risk when not used properly
    2) Table saw kick back is like a bullet heading towards you. Circular kick back is the saw in you hand leaping at you. You still have more control than a flying piece of wood that is not in your hand.
    3) Worst of all, it is very tempting to reach over the blade on the table saw to grab pieces.

4. Sadhaka Brother on August 2, 2022 at 11:44 pm

Thank You for the video. I am learning a lot from your videos. Greetings from Berens River, Manitoba, Canada.

5. BJM Graphics on August 2, 2022 at 11:47 pm

Wow! Thanks 🙏 I bet I can just buy the table saw and avoid getting a miter saw. It seem that the table saw kills two birds with one stone.

6. lequse jones on August 2, 2022 at 11:48 pm

Hi. Good video, but I beg to differ. I have a circular saw and I wouldn’t trade it for a table saw. The versatility of the circular saw is great. I get your point about safety and accuracy, but I solve those two problems in one with my circular saw crosscut jig. I built it myself from scrap wood and some bits of aluminium and it is absolutely great. I almost never use my saw without it.
    That’s a link to a the video of the jig I copied and made for my saw!!

7. Robert Major - the Cultivator on August 2, 2022 at 11:49 pm

Great presentation! Thanks!

8. කැපුවත් කොළ on August 2, 2022 at 11:51 pm

Really good presentation. I like your calmful explanation. You got wisdom with your age.!

9. WHEREMY LIFEGO on August 2, 2022 at 11:52 pm

Just noticed this channel is relatively new with new content! One new subscriber for sure…..! Thank you very much for your extremely valuable time ❤
    Love from the uk. Still not sure about trump tho man ?🤔🙈❤

10. Texas-Red on August 2, 2022 at 11:53 pm

Thanks.. feel safer with a table saw!

11. Weekend Home Projects on August 2, 2022 at 11:54 pm

Enjoyed.

12. Corban McCracken on August 2, 2022 at 11:58 pm

Very new youtuber but very informative and great content. In some aspects this channel is better than some more established channels. This channel is alot more of a friendly homely atmosphere. Please keep up the good work. Ps the cameraman should be paid for his work🤣

13. Edward Newell on August 3, 2022 at 12:01 am

Surprised to hear the table is safer, seems so much more dangerous.

14. Tucker November on August 3, 2022 at 12:03 am

This is exactly the explanation I was looking for! Very helpful! Thank you for your work!

15. Abell on August 3, 2022 at 12:03 am

Great video! Hope to see more soon! Stick with it this please. <3

16. Meghan Ramos on August 3, 2022 at 12:07 am

Helpful. How do you feel about a circular saw with a track? That’s what my brother who does woodworking recommended. I am looking for the right set up for small scale DIY projects such as shelves, a small bench, garden stuff, etc.

17. Drew 2C on August 3, 2022 at 12:09 am

Thank you for this! Im trying to do some wood working projects for the first time and dont have any major equipment. This is very helpful!

18. Александр Сыпко on August 3, 2022 at 12:13 am

*Great saw. Perfect for smaller jobs.Although it is lightweight **MyBest.Tools** one has to remember this is not a toy.Potentially dangerous if not used carefully.*

19. hartono dyx on August 3, 2022 at 12:19 am

This man genius

20. Hanyu on August 3, 2022 at 12:19 am

85th subscriber. Good info.

21. Steven Bravo on August 3, 2022 at 12:20 am

Best video! Thank you sir

22. Logan Ross on August 3, 2022 at 12:21 am

If you can only have one, circular, mitre or table saw…..and you were going to be building a whole lot of ONE thing–you’re building 100 of something for your summer job.
    which would you go with???

23. Jordan Savage on August 3, 2022 at 12:26 am

I think you missed a spot in the editting there chief

24. syed safi on August 3, 2022 at 12:28 am

I’m your 59th subscriber. Great video

25. WHEREMY LIFEGO on August 3, 2022 at 12:33 am

My friend…! Thank u very much for this video ❤

26. DariusMaximilian on August 3, 2022 at 12:36 am

As a relative beginner to woodworking, I wish I had seen this video before I bought my circular saw. Sure it is portable, but there are portable table saws. The main difference then is price. Circular saw is far cheaper than the table saw. Even so, for the types of projects I have in mind, the accuracy of a table saw is what I will need. I’m now in the market for the portable table saw because I don’t have space for a non-portable one. I can see my circular saw going up on sale.