3 of 3 – BLOCK PLANE SHARPENING: Diamond Stones and the Ultimate Sharpening Jig

3 of 3 – BLOCK PLANE SHARPENING: Diamond Stones and the Ultimate Sharpening Jig

In this video I finish putting a perfect edge this previously very damaged and poorly sharpened block plane blade. After using this blade a lot for several months since I made this video, I can report it is fantastic steel with great edge holding characteristics.

1. AskWoodMan on September 17, 2022 at 1:44 am

Congratulations on your Makita. I still have never seen anything that does such a good job on planer and jointer knives. The price is really going up on it. That sharpening jig I came up with is an amazing step up in versatility. Yes I kept breaking the plastic stone holders so 11guage is easy to cut with a jig saw and won’t break. And it can be easily modified. Which you can see I need to do for that bigger new stone.

2. Tony Iannone on September 17, 2022 at 1:45 am

Thanks!

3. AskWoodMan on September 17, 2022 at 1:49 am

I would not put any kind of edge or power tool to it. I would probably just get some Super 77 spray adhesive and stick two sheets of good 80 grit paper to a good flat reference surface like a cast iron table saw top. Work the sole in figure 8 motions slowly and under control. Reverse direction also. Clean the dust frequently with a vac. Check flatness and squareness often. Advance through the grits until satisfied. Clean the top with thinner. I would not use double stick tape. Too uneven. Allan

4. Tony Iannone on September 17, 2022 at 1:52 am

I’ve got an old Bailey plane with a 2" thick wood base, it’s pretty banged and I not really sure how to lap it?? Any thoughts?
    Ps. Great videos, can’t stop watching them.

5. Ignacio Segarra on September 17, 2022 at 1:55 am

How can something so boring be so interesting. I enjoy every second.

6. 1954BJohn on September 17, 2022 at 1:56 am

Nice mini series Allan.

7. rchopp on September 17, 2022 at 1:58 am

Very nice, I hope you have been working on some interesting projects to share with us, thanks in advance..

8. Joseph Shitbags on September 17, 2022 at 1:59 am

Great series. I’m ordering your jig if the P&H is reasonable to Australia. What is the honing fluid you use in the spray bottle.

9. AskWoodMan on September 17, 2022 at 2:00 am

I can’t stop adding to it. I will spend all day making more content.

10. John Chung on September 17, 2022 at 2:02 am

U can get it here: vsctools.com

11. Lorenzo Todd on September 17, 2022 at 2:04 am

thats interesting

12. Medicman on September 17, 2022 at 2:07 am

What a fantastic jig. Is it homemade, or could it be purchased somewhere?

13. Lorenzo Todd on September 17, 2022 at 2:10 am

Somehow he looks like Will Ferrel

14. AskWoodMan on September 17, 2022 at 2:12 am

No problem. I am just glad you are interested enough to write.

15. AskWoodMan on September 17, 2022 at 2:12 am

Before you know it you are going to be saying, "oh jeeze he is posting another video". I am swimming in a sea of video editing. A lot on the way.

16. Medicman on September 17, 2022 at 2:15 am

Oops, made that comment with about 20 seconds left on the vid. Should have waited until the very end.

17. AskWoodMan on September 17, 2022 at 2:17 am

I am glad you are finding your jig to your liking. I put a wood block inside the glove and use it as a final strop just to pull the edge over the leather to remove that final wire. Good to hear from you.

18. spelunkerd on September 17, 2022 at 2:18 am

Thanks for such a quick response. I bought that Makita after watching your video, and I can’t be more happy with it. Your jig seems great as well, though I don’t have your version, since I bought a smaller Lee Valley model many years ago. Yours seems better, able to use the whole stone.

In this recent video the plate that holds the sharpening stone fast seems to be made of steel rather than the clear polycarbonate you used before. Did you find the plastic not durable enough?

19. LordZewo on September 17, 2022 at 2:25 am

if it is sharp enough to make you nervous your probably done.

20. AskWoodMan on September 17, 2022 at 2:26 am

That blade was at 10 on the "nervous scale". Good to hear from you again. I use the measuring idea you suggested on the circle cutter every time I use it.

21. Lorenzo Todd on September 17, 2022 at 2:26 am

Thats a Lie Nielsen isnt it

22. truebluekit on September 17, 2022 at 2:26 am

Awww… I wanted to see you plane with that blade.

23. Braz1956 on September 17, 2022 at 2:26 am

My vote goes for moving the welding series to the top of the queue šŸ™‚

24. AskWoodMan on September 17, 2022 at 2:31 am

I think about video 2 of your anvil project everyday. I am thanking you in advance too šŸ™‚

25. AskWoodMan on September 17, 2022 at 2:37 am

No it is an old American made Stanley. I have another series where I combine parts from the worn out 30 year old Stanley with the Ebay Stanley I bought to replace it. You may find it interesting.

26. AskWoodMan on September 17, 2022 at 2:37 am

I mainly just wanted to show how to use this hand sharpening jig in conjunction with a power tool to move the sharpening process along. Thanks again John.

27. AskWoodMan on September 17, 2022 at 2:37 am

Hey Jeffery. Thanks for recognizing the power of the jig. It is available from my tool company VerySuperCool Tools. There are also many more videos about using it that you can find a playlist here. In that series I show four very different tools getting the spa treatment, with a lot of great closeups.

28. AskWoodMan on September 17, 2022 at 2:39 am

It is the Makita 9820 waterstone. Yes I use all the time for my planer and jointer knives. The next time I break it out I am going to use this jig in conjunction with it the way I used the belt sander in this series. I just thought it would be more accessible to show the belt sander because almost all woodworkers have a belt sander and very few have the Makita. Good to hear from you again. Allan

29. spelunkerd on September 17, 2022 at 2:41 am

Do you still use that circular Bosch water stone sharpener?