The Secret to No-Jig Dowel Joinery //woodworking

The Secret to No-Jig Dowel Joinery //woodworking

#woodworking #joinery #tips
DONATE TO THIS CHANNEL TO HELP KEEP IT GOING: https://www.sdgcreative.com/donate/

In this week’s video, I demonstrate my method for dowel joinery without the use of a jig. This method requires the use of a brad point drill bit, which is the same diameter as the dowel used on your project. The real secret is how to accurately mark and drill one part of your project so that the adjoining parts can be accurately marked for the receiving holes. This process involves knowing how to dry fit as you progress through your project before the final assembly and glue-up. This system will work on almost any dowel joined piece of furniture with excellent results. You don’t need a dowel jig.

DISCLAIMER: My videos are for entertainment purposes only. Do not attempt to do anything that is shown in my videos. Woodworking and Metal Working are very dangerous activities and should only be performed by trained professionals.

WOODWORKING PLANS NOW AVAILABLE!
Check out my website and check back often for new plans for jigs, furniture and other projects.
Go To: https://www.sdgcreative.com/

CHECK OUT MY T-SHIRT SHOP FOR ALL THE LATEST DESIGNS: https://teespring.com/stores/sorensen-designs

RELATED VIDEOS:

Perfectly Trimmed Dowels – No Saw Marks, No Sanding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_AfbLNQ4ZQ

Dowel Cutting Jig for Dowel Stock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7PlzxcMm2s

Save Money & Learn To Love Dowel Joints Again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypMQDp8kjDo

SOCIAL: FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM or TWITTER: @SDGMIXX

1. Bob Nicholas on September 20, 2022 at 1:52 am

We didn’t have you tube, phillips head screws, electric combination mitre saws, cordless variable speed drills etc.

2. Bob Neuendorf on September 20, 2022 at 1:52 am

Another great video!
    I gave up on dowel joinery a very long time ago. Now I’m thinking about trying again.

3. Anthony Audain on September 20, 2022 at 1:53 am

Interested

4. Ferdinand Busch on September 20, 2022 at 1:56 am

It depends a lot on the wood you are using. For example with douglas fur the difference in hardness between the growth rings is very high. It tends to not let you drill straight but deflect your drill bit.

5. Sony Thomas on September 20, 2022 at 1:58 am

Newbie here!
    Do we need to use 9.5 mm drill bit for 9.5mm dowel or is it okay to use 10mm bit. Which is the best?
    I have used 9.5 drill bit which gives me very tight fit however it is VERY difficult to remove the dowels after dry fit test. Your response is very much appreciated. Thanks!

6. Jody Montez on September 20, 2022 at 2:01 am

How do you determine where the holes are going to be placed. Divide 3 ( holes) by width of board? Thanks

7. Rta373 on September 20, 2022 at 2:07 am

Love the angry troll bit

8. Eric Sorensen on September 20, 2022 at 2:11 am

Hello Friends! Here is a side tip for actually drilling the holes: When you make your initial center mark using the brad point drill bit, you may still want to follow up with an awl to make the center mark deeper. This will make it much easier to drill your adjoining part and will help prevent the deflection. Also, when starting a hole, do not run the drill at full speed. Start the hole slowly, again, to avoid any misalignment or drift.

9. Michael Lacaria on September 20, 2022 at 2:32 am

One potential problem I have is centering the drill bit to the tiny punched center. Sometimes I pre-drill a 1/8 hole, which is easy to center, and follow up with a larger bit because I don’t have a brad bit. This means I don’t need to clamp the wood with the larger bit because it finds it’s center easily. Not sure if that is good practice or not? Any comments?

10. One Punch Man on September 20, 2022 at 2:35 am

thanks for your video. I use a spade bit to make kids chairs and im having trouble consistently producing back supports to leg joints because i’ve not used any jig, i think i need a custom jig. I use a spade bit, am i doing it wrong?

11. craig wesson on September 20, 2022 at 2:42 am

For a, let’s say 3/8 dowel, what size of drill bit do you use. The same, 3/8 or slightly bigger ? 😊

12. Steve poston on September 20, 2022 at 2:46 am

Gr8 video,i use nipples that mark the other piece when no jig dowel joinery

13. Fab rief on September 20, 2022 at 2:48 am

Hey, Why dont you mark your holes positions, fit the parts together and maintain with clamps then drill through the front plank?