Easy Dust Collection Setup – My Dream Workshop

Easy Dust Collection Setup – My Dream Workshop

I have been needing to install a decent dust collection system for some time now and finally got around to it. There are many different levels of dust collection but I have a medium sized shop and wanted to create a flexible and easy system to use and install. I opted to go with a Dust Right unit from Rockler because it is a great fit for my shop and they have tons of components to go with it.

Dust Right Collector: https://www.rockler.com/rockler-wall-mount-dust-collector-1250-cfm
Full Blog Post: https://rogueengineer.com/shop-dust-collection-system/

Learn more about Ryobi HP Tools: https://www.ryobitools.com/products/one-plus

————————————————-

SUPPORT ROGUE ENGINEER

Buy a shirt: http://bit.ly/rogueSHOP

Shop on Amazon: http://bit.ly/rogueAMZN

Shop at HomeDepot: http://bit.ly/rogueHD

————————————————-

BE SOCIAL

1. Stanley Pearse on November 22, 2022 at 4:59 am

Just a quick question…how many square feet is your shop? Great video…!!

2. Blake Pizzey on November 22, 2022 at 5:00 am

Nice video and clean looking install! What kind of engineering did you study?? New sub here.

3. Todd Short on November 22, 2022 at 5:00 am

nice setup bro.

4. Mike Pucser on November 22, 2022 at 5:01 am

does your trash can collapse when using your system? The guys at a local woodshed indicated that the trash can will collapse. Just trying to look at all my options.

5. Andy Jones on November 22, 2022 at 5:02 am

Did the 4” pvc connect to the rockler parts?

6. Patriot Woodworker on November 22, 2022 at 5:03 am

To everyone: I just installed my dust right 1250, I’m running about 30ft of 4” expandable hose, D.R. separator. At the end of my run there is little suction. Why?

7. Michael J on November 22, 2022 at 5:04 am

Do you have plans for your rolling work table in the middle of your shop? I like all the nooks and crannies in that

8. Aaron Powell on November 22, 2022 at 5:05 am

How much do you estimate using the weatherstripping in the trash can and around the actual bag is helping with limiting loss of suction? I have a 650cfm system and it feels like my shop vac has more gusto in removing dust to either my router or tablesaw. I did a similar setup as you but to mainly those 2 tools but I did not use weather stripping to get a better seal. I imagine my tool is giving me less than 100cfm. Does the weather stripping improve suction that much?

9. Midgaard on November 22, 2022 at 5:07 am

You would get away better airflow with 2×45⁰ corners instead of 1 90⁰ corner

10. Alan Matthews on November 22, 2022 at 5:09 am

Having a wife that is as interested in building as you are is awesome!

11. Kraig Kettler on November 22, 2022 at 5:09 am

Does the dust collector come with the remote or is that something you purchased after the fact?

12. Scott Mason on November 22, 2022 at 5:10 am

What is the overall size of your workshop?

13. Wischmopps on November 22, 2022 at 5:11 am

Typical usa YouTube video. A brand and product name pops in the first 30 seconds… Including package fotos.

14. Fred Zaspel on November 22, 2022 at 5:14 am

Thanks for this.
    What kind of PVC is best to connect to the Dust Right hose? Plain end, or the sewer drain end pipe (that is flared out a bit at the end)? Thanks for your help.

15. DIY Declassified on November 22, 2022 at 5:14 am

This looks so sharp! It’s also nice how you were able to keep it out of the way.

16. Mitchell on November 22, 2022 at 5:18 am

I love the garage and dream to have a smaller version of it someday. Any chance you could publish a walkthrough video of the completed project?

17. Erica Williams on November 22, 2022 at 5:19 am

So neatly put together! Thanks for the video

18. Jacob Picard on November 22, 2022 at 5:21 am

how has the spray paint on pvc held up? i am wanting to paint the pipe im going to install as well. was a special spray paint used?

19. Jerry Overfelt on November 22, 2022 at 5:22 am

Did you have to ground everything for static?

20. Jay Ray's DIY on November 22, 2022 at 5:22 am

What are your thoughts about this?:
    I have used vacuums that were made to blow air into them and that would create a suction on the inlet. Upon considering this, I was thinking a little about dust collection systems.
    I have been wondering if it is possible to run the dust collector exhaust into the system so that it basically creates a “closed loop” and does not require a filter. Any thoughts?

21. John Charmley on November 22, 2022 at 5:22 am

do it work doe

22. Colen Casey on November 22, 2022 at 5:23 am

Nice work, but did you change out that 30micron bag for a 1micron bag

23. csimet on November 22, 2022 at 5:24 am

Nice. I’m going with a Grizzly G0944 since it provides 1250 CFM and a larger 1-micron canister (not the standard 5-micron bag), yet costs about half that of the Rockler.

I wish Rockler made a 6" version of the separator kit for a user built garbage can (1:34). I can’t seem to find anyone else that supplies one either and may have to rig one with PVC pipe fittings. At the head end next to the separator I want a chip collector like the one you show, but with 6" connections.

I plan to use a straight piece of 6" schedule 40 as my main run to two work areas, breaking them out with the included dual 4" to 6" y-adapter and a pair of blast gates, then over to the machines with two 4" flex hoses that I can move to each device.

24. Jared Alvey on November 22, 2022 at 5:28 am

Im interested in how well the trash can cyclone worked.

25. Rich Barschdorf on November 22, 2022 at 5:28 am

It’s called Plumbers tape.

26. Phil Ackerly on November 22, 2022 at 5:28 am

Nice shop. Nice workbench there in the middle of the shop.

27. Just for fun on November 22, 2022 at 5:29 am

Looks very nice

28. Ernest Vocell on November 22, 2022 at 5:30 am

That blue vacuum should be painted ryobi green😛🤣

29. MrCarter'sRods on November 22, 2022 at 5:33 am

Great setup!

My shop is <1/4 the size of yours so I went with a "lower" cfm (supossedly a 600cfm) , but it still collapsed the Brute. And with a 2.5mh bag, it was still pulling the ultra fine sanding dust out through the bag after I had got it "seasoned".

So, the best things I did was toss the brute garbage can, and get a steel 55gal drum with a great lid (it was for poly resin insulation foam and it has a very slick lining in the can and lid (ptfe I think. Its Non-static/hydrophobic.)

Then instead if bag, I bored a hole through the wall, and put an external 5in vent in the wall, so it could dump the ultra fine stuff outside.
    However, I put a clear tape there to see if it’s exhausting the dust, but after several hard days of use, my tape had nothing on it. I assumed it was a leak. But after checking and rechecking, it seems the 55gallon drum is catching >99% of all dust… in fact I get zero visible dust going out of my outflow, outside my shop, up until the 55 gal drum is a bit over ½ full. Then as my drum fills up, it seems to allow a bit more finer dust to escape through the outflow.

Here’s the odd thing… (I’m embarrassed to even say this because I 💩 on the brand so much for its low quality) I am using the newer, smaller WEN DC3474 that came put earlier this year. And it states 600 cfm , but it’s quite a bit more it’s one of those mobile port to bag styles, and I mounted it yo the wall thinking I’d just use it on a few machines. But wow, was I wrong. I bought similar units before for mounting underneath tool benches, (like my planer bench) so it can be a dedicated unit, but none of them (HF and Grizzly) were anywhere near this strong.

But what I noticed was that eith the bag on it, my cfm was cut down considerably. And I’m not going to alot space for a big filter that costs more than my unit lol.

So just try a test and feel if it increases your cfm by ditching the bag (but not pulling in dust obviously ). I noticed due to my hoses tightening up a ridiculous amount without bag.

That way, if it does increase flow, you can do an external dump, and your unit now turns into a beast.

*-Also, I removed all the built in obstructions the dust collector has in place to prevent chips (like on the outflow seen @2:29 of your video). I also used Drain/Vent pvc piping, and not schedule 40. It was ½ the price. However, while it did make a bigger sized flow for 45° and 90° joints, it made connecting things a bit tougher, so I had to get out a heat gun and mold it a bit, in a few places. … I’m not sure how much these factors helped, but any increase in cfm for the smaller machines, is always good no matter how insignificant.

Hopefully, one day, I can get a space the size of yours… with windows, insulation and A/C lol. Florida heat killing me thus year.

Thanks for the video. Apologize for the TedTalk I just gave. Keep up the good work, as I’m checking out your channel right now.

30. Greg A - Kendal Heights Décor & Woodworking on November 22, 2022 at 5:34 am

Looks awesome… I did something similar but I grounded all the PVC to keep the static down. Also I found those plastics blast gates to be a pain. Changed to the metal self cleaning, much better!!

31. Andrew Robinson on November 22, 2022 at 5:35 am

If only PVC pipe came in black…. 😉

32. Shawn Shomali on November 22, 2022 at 5:37 am

You should put a Hepa Cannister filter instead of that bag, you’ll be surprised to see there will be no dust coming out of The dust collector and also the suction power of the dust collector will improve by at least six times more than using the bag filter

33. BRIAN SOUSA on November 22, 2022 at 5:38 am

Where do you guys get the PVC pipe from, also, how do you ground it? Any help would be much appreciated!

34. Timo Rieseler on November 22, 2022 at 5:39 am

That’s the best looking bad system I ever saw…
    Adding up to what other skilled people had already brought up in the comments below regarding power, bendings and particle size, I want to point out that the cyclone outlet should be centered to suck clean air and that gluing the pipes gives you no chance for inspection.

35. Jason W. on November 22, 2022 at 5:42 am

You should consider getting rid of those 90 degree bends and going to a 45 degree for better efficiency. Check this out – https://youtu.be/0NmMoIYIsr8

36. Alonso Martinez on November 22, 2022 at 5:44 am

Price?

37. Saliya Ekanayake on November 22, 2022 at 5:46 am

what’s the CFM on this?

38. Thomas Bridges on November 22, 2022 at 5:46 am

Nice job on the dust system that is how I have mine somewhat. Love to also see you guys as a couple working on it. Thats Special !!!

39. Aaron W on November 22, 2022 at 5:48 am

Why wouldn’t you just use a hole saw to cut holes in the top?

40. Steel Blade Woodworks on November 22, 2022 at 5:49 am

Nice job and great looking shop!!!

41. DSDesign Woodworking on November 22, 2022 at 5:50 am

With all that attention to detail you REALLY need to get rid of that 30 micron bag, even with a 5 micron bag the walls near my dust collector would be coated in the really fine dust that blows right back out through the bag and into the air. Just upgraded to a cyclone separator and HEPA filter for long term health. Also look into grounding the pvc pipe if you didn’t do so. Fantastic looking shop!

42. tubestick00 on November 22, 2022 at 5:51 am

I would put the motor and dust collection outside…. nice and quiet and tidy outside.

43. Screaming Eagle on November 22, 2022 at 5:51 am

why isnt that bag enough for you? why is it needed to put the garbage can also?

44. Beth Murrow on November 22, 2022 at 5:52 am

Its nice but it sure doesn’t look like most shops of the average person. I have so much stuff i would have to move to put something like this in my garage. Perhaps i should have done it when it was still empty

45. L. Rod282 on November 22, 2022 at 5:53 am

Nice setup.

46. Scott Morris on November 22, 2022 at 5:54 am

I have the same model of dust collector and chip separator. I just a metal 31 gallon trash can instead, with a flat plywood top. I have only tested a couple of times, for shop cleanup. A good bit more of the saw dust make it through to the bag than I expected. I only have a 20’ flexible hose connected, and swept up the sawdust that had covered the floor after being swept up. How much dust has made it through to the plastic bag on your setup. Just a note, they recommend cross member 2×4’s when ousting on a finished wall. great video, thanks. It validated what I am doing in my dust collection setup. Validation is good.

47. Swapnil Bhartiya on November 22, 2022 at 5:55 am

If you are using a cloth bag, its one of the most unhealthiest thing. Upgrade to canister.

48. J V L on November 22, 2022 at 5:55 am

Well planned wood shop.How much did the dust collection system cost ? Is the four inch piping really required .I think three inch pipes could result in a more efficient system because of the size of your shop. Or am I missing something ?

49. ea0529 on November 22, 2022 at 5:56 am

What are the dimensions of the reel when assembled? How far does it jut from the wall and how far across does it span? I want to make sure the area I want to put it would work.