Stanley 220 Plane Restoration

Stanley 220 Plane Restoration

This Stanley 220 block plane restoration is my best one so far and is an absolutely lovely little plane to see and use, its my new favourite.

I bought on eBay for £11.50, these planes were made from 1898 to 1985 so there are plenty about in the UK and USA (this one is USA).

If you want to find one try this search http://ebay.us/4iCiYg

Music licensed at Wintergatan.net please checkout his amazing marble machine.
YouTube channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcXhhVwCT6_WqjkEniejRJQ

00:00 Stanley 220 Block Plane Restoration
00:10 Intro
01:50 Taking it apart
04:40 Cleaning the sole and sides
06:20 Cleaning the parts on the wire wheel
09:50 Painting
11:25 Assembly
13:30 Testing
14:50 Summary

1. Tony always on November 24, 2022 at 5:24 am

Lovely job 👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

2. oneshot_me on November 24, 2022 at 5:26 am

When using any kind of rust remover have it covering all of it because it’ll leave a line you’ll never get rid of with most of them
    Enjoyed your video and I gave it a Thumbs Up

3. 612morrison on November 24, 2022 at 5:34 am

Vinegar works well but you really need to leave it at least overnight or better still 24 hours.

4. LV_Woodturner on November 24, 2022 at 5:46 am

I do like the design of the 220, so much easier to adjust than the "nudge-and-fudge" of the 110.
    As you said this was in very good condition as received, so easy cleanup and paint. It looks and works well. Nice job and a good price.

I am a leftie so use my hand planes with my left hand. Not a problem – until I purchased a vintage Stanley 45 and discovered the design is intended for right hand use.

Rust removal methods could be a good subject to start a proverbial bar fight. Some fluids will remove rust without harming plating or paint. Some will remove rust and plating and potentially paint. Some are faster than others.
    Most acids will remove rust, but will also attack plating and potentially paint.

Whatever fluid you use, it is important to completely submerge the parts or you will get a "tidemark" which is very difficult to remove. If you leave the parts overnight, I recommend covering the container to minimize evapouration to prevent any parts being partially submerged.

My preferred rust removal product is EvapoRust since it does not attack plating or paint. This is available in the UK. It is expensive, Pds 28 but can be re-used many times. I leave the parts overnight, but this product can work in a few hours.

A less expensive fluid is Oxalic acid, also called Wood bleach in the US. A couple of tablespoons in a gallon of warm water. So even a small container lasts a long time. The mixture can be reused a few times. I leave the parts overnight.

You can also use white vinegar alone.

I have not tried electrolysis, which works well, but also attacks plating and paint. It can make a mess. I saw some videos where folks used graphite electrodes which minimized the mess. Not easy to get large chucks of pure graphite though.

Dave.

5. Pj Smith on November 24, 2022 at 5:51 am

What kind of paint did you use it looks pretty good

6. Rob Bunt on November 24, 2022 at 5:55 am

Hi, enjoy the videos 👍what are those drill press polishing attachments and where do you get them ?
    Cheers Rob

7. Ethan Maggs on November 24, 2022 at 6:03 am

Great video! I’ve bought a few new planes and they seem to be built quite poorly and require a lot of set up out of the box I think I might give one of the vintage ones a go thanks for the detailed restoration. Cheers for Canada

8. The Venomator on November 24, 2022 at 6:14 am

So pleased to find this one as I have just discovered my Grandad’s old 220 in a bag of old stuff we had in storage! So guess what I am going to be doing with it… 🤪
    A couple of questions if you would kindly indulge me; you suggested a link to a comparison (of wheels of some sort?), which I did not see appear?
    What paint & varnish would you recommend for the restoration please?
    Great video, thank you… 👏🏻