WATCH THIS Before Using Your Table Saw – Workshop Safety

WATCH THIS Before Using Your Table Saw – Workshop Safety

Following workshop safety rules is a must, without it, we risk all sorts of injuries to ourselves and others in the workshop. By now, good eye and ear protection are standard in the workshop at all times. One of the leading tools for accidents is the table saw and there are many very good rules to follow when the table saw with the 2 primary rules of 1) setting blade depth to just a half tooth above the material being cut and 2) using a proper, safe push stick which precludes anything with a long handle often called “chicken’s foot push sticks”. 3) Using a blade guard and table saw featherboard to prevent kickback!

******************
Table Saw Safety and Proper Push Sticks: https://youtu.be/uU-4p-X8AOg
5 Quick Table Saw Tips – Episode 6: https://youtu.be/Jlk_CBfkdvs
5 Quick Table Saw Tips Episode 5: https://youtu.be/_G4jVytwggY
5 Table Saw Tricks and Tips Part 4: https://youtu.be/BZUIvzOz5X0
5 Table Saw Tricks and Tips Part 3: https://youtu.be/VcodNMiNNac
Using a Table Saw Tricks and Tips Part 2: https://youtu.be/_puL0RNSwwo
5 Table Saw Basics Tricks and Tips Part 1: https://youtu.be/31DWE1aRVto
******************
#TableSaw #TableSawSafety #WorkshopSafety

Read Full Article on Table Saw Workshop Safety Here – https://bit.ly/3GhbXKW
Link to Article and Video or Circular Saw / Track Saw Jig – http://bit.ly/30vXpSE

*** Amazon Affiliate Store – https://www.amazon.com/shop/woodworkweb
*** Magswitch Affiliate Store – https://mag-tools.com/discount/COLIN_KNECHT
*** Canadian Amazon Affiliate Store – https://bit.ly/38h1uib
*** T-SHIRTS and Fun Stuff – https://teespring.com/stores/woodworkweb-2

**** Subscribe here – https://www.youtube.com/user/knecht105
** Like me at Facebook: https://goo.gl/DLgvoa
** Visit the website: http://www.woodworkweb.com
** Follow on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/colinknecht
** Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/woodworkweb

1. Prwler1234 on November 24, 2022 at 5:22 am

2. XLava Hott on November 24, 2022 at 5:26 am

IMHO the push stick you are using is too thin. The center of gravity is so high with so little material touching the piece, I would not be comfortable with that wobble or lean. I would triple the width of the push stick you have made.

3. G. Glenn on November 24, 2022 at 5:26 am

I don’t know if this helps, but I was taught after pushing wood through the table saw, to grab the left side of the table with the left hand until the blade has stopped. It becomes a habit after awhile, and keeps your left hand from grabbing the waste until blade stops.

4. Thom Green on November 24, 2022 at 5:27 am

agreed, well done! in addition to what you said, I stop before turning on any tool and double check my surroundings. I want to make sure that I can totally control the situation, I do not want someone coming into my shop while I am working, and I lose my focus while i am working, it could be very dangerous, ask me how I know?

5. KieuPho on November 24, 2022 at 5:27 am

Hi Mr. Colin. Do you have any video about using safely the circular saw? Thank you.

6. Johnny Star on November 24, 2022 at 5:27 am

number 1 rule dont use the table saw for docking, only ripping. use a drop saw to doc. This is how most kick backs happen. I only use a stick if my fingers dont fit. hold it firm against the fence, adjust blade height and most importantly, COMPLETE AN APPRENTISHIP or call a tradie

7. Mike Echo on November 24, 2022 at 5:31 am

Excellent video Colin. complacency is EXACTLY what came and bit me. I have respect for my dangerous tools, like my Table Saw, Radial arm Saw, Planers, (big dangerous machines), but not so much for my smaller machines, like my belt sander. Thought it’s so small, and I have used it for so many years, I’ll just quickly sand this piece of wood, not worrying to much about safety. Well it shot the wood out and made a nice gash in my leg, I was very lucky it was not bad. It sure brought me back to realizing that complacency is the BIGGEST ENEMY of us "old" wood workers

8. Kracula on November 24, 2022 at 5:32 am

Number one thing to take from this video is don’t get complacent while using a saw 👍

9. Jonathan on November 24, 2022 at 5:33 am

Why do all manufacturers still supplier a push stick when the steel their machines. Insane!

10. M B_A5 on November 24, 2022 at 5:35 am

I wouldn’t call myself a woodworker, I deal with facilities management (keeping everything working) at a yacht club. My work requires the use of a table saw (commercial grade) fairly regularly. I like to think of the table saw like a barking rottweiler, you never know when he’ll snap and bite you. My favorite part of your video is the part where you advise to take a moment and consider what this machine is capable of and as a bonus (I know you do this Colin) I spend a good deal of time on set up. I’m sure it’s not unique to me but I find that I spend a great deal more time on the set up than I do on the cut. And remember, jigs are our friends.

11. Normanek72 on November 24, 2022 at 5:36 am

Great video. I cut my thumb on my saw, AFTER I turned it off. I was retrieving my piece and did not notice the blade was still turning. Wait until the blade fully stops before reaching for your work piece

12. Peter Cross on November 24, 2022 at 5:36 am

That push stick you say is the best one puts your fingers too close to the blade as the board moves along. Use two longer push sticks, one to hold the work down and the other to push the work along. Why move your fingers near the blade?

13. Michael Costa on November 24, 2022 at 5:37 am

I laid floors for 35 years the last 20 years I laid mostly wood and Lamanite floors. My number one safety rule is a sharp blade suitable for the work you are doing. When cutting floors all your cuts are scribed nothing is straight. We cut freehand with an open blade no safety guard and no fence. In my later years, before I retired they came out with plank cutters that cut down on some of the table saw work.

14. Heinrich Mengdehl on November 24, 2022 at 5:37 am

vielen Dank für die wertvollen Sicherheitshinweise im Umgang mit einer Tischkreissäge. Grüße aus Essen, Germany

15. PC Gamer et Modding on November 24, 2022 at 5:37 am

Merci

16. K9-CHANNEL on November 24, 2022 at 5:38 am

Wow! Wonderful Safety Education

17. Beyond Limits Productions on November 24, 2022 at 5:39 am

The tablesaw…. the tool that has my most respect !

18. Joe Gutierrez on November 24, 2022 at 5:41 am

Great vid, thanks! Blessings!!!

19. Gman from Texas on November 24, 2022 at 5:42 am

I didn’t realize the importance of the blade hight. Thanks

20. Jakob Halskov on November 24, 2022 at 5:47 am

Thanks for reminding us about these critical basics for staying safe with the table saw! A year ago I managed to get my thumb too close the blade and cut the tip off. It has healed well a year later and acts as great reminder!

21. Jeff Thomas on November 24, 2022 at 5:47 am

Fantastic video, i cut my thumb. A very long time ago on a table saw, the blade cut me right around the bone. Ever since then i have been very careful around power tools

22. Roy Saxton on November 24, 2022 at 5:48 am

yes, first thing I was going to write was the blade height, but you corrected it. Completely agree about ripping plywood, I use a track saw to rip most of the time. If I’m cutting a lot of sheets then I get a 2nd person to help when I run on table saw. agree always drop the blade when finished with piece, protects the blade as well as any work that you sit on the table. But, I don’t use a splitter or guard, I can’t see where the cut is going, I find they are a huge PIA,,, I always use a push stick, kind of a cross between the 2 diff styles you show.

23. Gertrude Grindhorn on November 24, 2022 at 5:50 am

Thanks so much Colin for reminding me…take a breath before the cut..imagine the cut from start to finish… this has saved me doing something unsafe on many occasions…

24. Tony D on November 24, 2022 at 5:51 am

Thank you Colin! All it took is one to the ribs one afternoon making a cut to get me to pay attention. My father has the hot dog saw (that’s what I call it). He made the purchase after 50 years or more of woodworking because a year ago he cut a portion of his thumb off.

25. harry doherty on November 24, 2022 at 5:52 am

keeps first aid kit in the shop and emergency numbers.

26. Brian Godfrey on November 24, 2022 at 5:53 am

Interesting wristwatch. Is it made from wood or something? Anyway, there is a type of clock called a "shop clock". Why would a shop need a big, visible clock on the wall? Because wearing jewelry – including wristwatches – around power tools is dangerous.

27. Junior Figueroa on November 24, 2022 at 5:53 am

Thanks for he video, as a newbie these are good things to know. The rising knife on my table saw has those spikes on (the ones on the rising knife)it but my issue is that the wood would get hung on them as I push through.

28. Hugh Roberts on November 24, 2022 at 5:54 am

fantastic video.
    have come very close to injure myself

29. DariusMaximilian on November 24, 2022 at 5:54 am

I’ve watched many vids about table saw safety but this is the first one that explains in detail the causes of kickback. I don’t have a table saw and don’t plan to get one because I have alternative and safer methods of getting the same job done. But I was tempted at one point and hence my interest in table saw safety.

30. The Devil In The Circuit on November 24, 2022 at 5:55 am

Any push stick or push block that requires you to pass your hand near or past the blade increases risk of injury.

31. Tiffany S on November 24, 2022 at 5:57 am

Thank you so much! I’m new to wordworking and am so grateful I came across your page!

32. Raftika on November 24, 2022 at 5:57 am

Did the table saw jump you for the thumbnail?

33. Jerry on November 24, 2022 at 5:57 am

For any cuts I can use them I use the feather board pro to hold my piece in place. It makes for accurate cuts and I feel it reduces the possibility of kickback. One to the side, one above.

34. Robert Sandilands on November 24, 2022 at 5:58 am

What do you do with a fixed high table saw

35. Mike Hammer on November 24, 2022 at 6:00 am

Well said 👍👍

36. Joe Riedl on November 24, 2022 at 6:03 am

You are perfectly correct sir!

37. MrCarter'sRods on November 24, 2022 at 6:03 am

Is there a way to pull wood through? I was a lefty, but list use of my left arm/leg, and after 5 years of trying constantly with my right arm, I’m unable to cut straight.

I’ve avoided table saws because only having 1 arm means a table saw is 100x more dangerous.

But I thought that if I could pull lumber through after starting the board pushing it? Is that a technique?

I’m so frustrated. From miter saws to track saws, I’m unable to get straight cuts. A tracksaw is worthless to me, as a blade on the right side is not good for righties. (Try using just your right hand and rip a sheet. Or cut a linger piece safely, without leaning over the piece, or crossing arms.)

So I’m at my wits end. It’s been failure after failure and ifs breaking my hopes. So I’m desperate, and thought I could use a table saw another way.

38. Ron Macdougall on November 24, 2022 at 6:04 am

Ty very much for the excellent video.I learned again,love it.

39. Chris Ehlers on November 24, 2022 at 6:04 am

Great job as always

40. joerg wiesmann on November 24, 2022 at 6:06 am

….thank YOU sooooo much for this safety informations !!! Kinde regards from Switzerland !!

41. Ervin McCurdy on November 24, 2022 at 6:08 am

Great advice Colin. I have an old table saw, actually a contractor saw, with no blade guard or riving knife, and always respect the blade. I use a push stick similar to yours but mine is made from a pieceof 2×6 about 10 inches long. I also regularly check the alignment of the blade and the fence to ensure they remain perfectly parallel.

42. Marcous Awad on November 24, 2022 at 6:09 am

👌👌👌

43. Barking Spiders on November 24, 2022 at 6:10 am

Common sense saves fingers.

44. ME First on November 24, 2022 at 6:14 am

I AM GLAD I STOPED BY. I COULD HAVE GOTTEN HURT NOT KNOWING HOW THE BLADE SHOULD BE SET AND ABOUT THE KICK BACK. THANKS A MILLION !!! HAPPY SAWING !!!!

45. vashon100 on November 24, 2022 at 6:14 am

Good to see you recovered from your thumbnail.

46. royothebuzz on November 24, 2022 at 6:16 am

Hi Colin, I just got my first table saw and your video is just what I wanted. Thanks for the safety tips. Liked and subbed. Cheers

47. bonnie ouellette on November 24, 2022 at 6:17 am

48. Keith Reay on November 24, 2022 at 6:18 am

You may have had this unplugged, but please mention that at the beginning because I had to watch this SAFETY video through scared eyeballs. 😉

49. Tanadet Patrakonchantamon on November 24, 2022 at 6:18 am

Good explained

50. Aare Luhaäär on November 24, 2022 at 6:19 am

Im thankful for the information, god bless you.