TIPS & TRICKS:
I’ve been meaning to do a follow up to this video but anyway here are some extra things I’d recommend.
1. The adapter is confusing to set up at first – just make sure you end up with the body of the saw over the track and cutting on the left side. (most plunge saws are right blade so it will look weird if you compare it to other youtube vids etc)
2. once you set it up and cut the rubber splinter guard try not to ever change the set up of the adapter bars ‘cos unless you get it dead nuts the second time it will either have a gap or eat away more and more of the splinter guard (and eventually the track itself as in my case) The important consequence there is that it will not be cutting on the line anymore so your cuts will be either too long or too short.
3. When it comes to making the money cuts (visible end grain etc) make sure the blade is really clean – even if it’s sharp, if the tips of the teeth are gummed up with crap it will not make as nice a cut as possible.
4. lastly – if at all possible don’t stop in the middle of a cut – steady pace with even forward and lateral pressure from start to finish.
5. really lastly – for making short cross cuts – because you need to have the track hanging off the end to get the cut started, it can tilt the whole track up and push it off your line – clamps or helper recommended.
6. The material on the track side is the keeper, the other side is the “waste” – if you have to make a cut where the waste side is your keeper, you need to offset the track from the line by the kerf (width) of the blade – otherwise your pieces end up too short by a couple of mm. There are some vids on YT about “track saw waste side cuts” etc
Purchase in NZ from Placemakers:
▶ Direct link to the saw: https://amzn.to/2XGT9i5
▶ Direct link to the track/rail: https://amzn.to/2H33QGz
▶ Direct link to the adapter: http://amzn.to/2px5qFo
Other guide rail adapters:
▶ Xsh04 and Xsh05 – https://amzn.to/2tTDdve
▶ Makita 5″ masonry saw – https://amzn.to/2EQYj3s
ITEMS I OFTEN USE
▶ Makita 18V Sub-Compact Brushless 2-Pc. Kit: https://amzn.to/2ZeWGn7
▶ Trend DWS/KIT/H Essential Diamond Sharpening Kit: https://amzn.to/31Ofbkd
▶ Makita 18V Brushless Cordless 6-1/2″ Circular Saw: https://amzn.to/2ZauQbY
▶ Makita 55-Inch Guide Rail: https://amzn.to/2HbZ0oY
▶ Makita 18V Brushless Cordless Compact Router: https://amzn.to/2KDQX6v
▶ Makita 18V LXT Cordless 5″” Random Orbit Sander: https://amzn.to/2YZMSCe
GROZ 3-Piece Machinist Steel Square Set – https://amzn.to/2ZaLQif
You get a fully functional, accurate and easy to use track saw solution for half the price of a plunge saw without losing the general utility of the circular saw. Win-Win.
The adapter is model “Makita 196953-0 Guide Rail Adapter” (in the US at least that is what it is – http://amzn.to/2px5qFo) cheers.